Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Platinum Poster Hara_Juku Tgirl's Avatar

Default Pakistan 'same-sex' couple jailed

A Pakistani court has jailed a married couple for three years for perjury after a dispute over the husband's sex.

Last week the court ruled that the husband was, in fact, a woman, despite sex-change surgery and that the couple had lied about his sexual status.

It also said their marriage was un-Islamic because it was same-sex.

The case is believed the first of its kind in Pakistan. The couple said they would appeal against the sentence and have asked President Musharraf to help.

Shumail Raj, 31, had sex-change surgery to become a man and then married his cousin - who was aware of the condition but says she needed his help to avoid being forced into wedlock with someone else.

'Lenient'

He is reported to have undergone surgery twice in Pakistan over the past 16 years to become a man.

But tests carried out by doctors on behalf of the court ruled that Raj, who has a beard an moustache, was still a woman.

He himself says that he needs to go abroad for more treatment even though his breasts and uterus have been removed.

Shumail Raj
    Shumail Raj has appealed to President Musharraf for help

The judge, Khawaja Mohammad Sharif, said he was issuing a "lenient" sentence, below the maximum punishment, because the couple had apologised, the Associated Press news agency reports.

He also asked them to pay a fine of 10,000 Pakistani rupees ($165).

Reports said Mr Raj and his 24-year-old wife Shahzina Tariq appeared shocked by the verdict.

"We appeal to President Musharraf to intervene. Mr Musharraf is talking about moderation and enlightenment. We hope he will do something for us," Mr Raj said.

'Against Islam'

Earlier, the couple told the court that they had got married so that the wife could avoid an arranged marriage.

The bride's father wants to annul the wedding on the grounds that it is against Islam for two women to marry.

But the couple argue that they married to protect the bride from being sold into marriage to pay off her uncle's gambling debts.

Shahzina Tariq says they are not homosexuals and they married because they are in love.

The two were arrested a fortnight ago after the bride's family complained about the gender of her husband.

SOURCE: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/6697527.stm
    __________________________________________________ ___________

~Kisses.

HTG

HURDLE #1: If guys would learn to stop over complementing, and not compliment every tranny (or girl) they see and talk to (so a girl would feel it was sincere and that she's special), maybe they'd get somewhere but a dead end! lol

Rookie Poster

Damn, those poor folks were trapped by the system. You are allowed to get sex reassignment surgery, but you cannot actually be legally considered a man. it would be interesting to know what makes you legally a man in Pakistan because it says they did an examination ...genetic testing maybe, but i doubt it. Then the purgery charge seems a bit dubious if in fact they both considered him a man...its not a lie is it? i dont know it seems like revenge or ...vengeance. Ah just some more suck in the world i guess.

Yeah I know. It's double standards really. Imagine what m to f transgenders go through in Pakistan?

Sad.

~Kisses.

HTG

HURDLE #1: If guys would learn to stop over complementing, and not compliment every tranny (or girl) they see and talk to (so a girl would feel it was sincere and that she's special), maybe they'd get somewhere but a dead end! lol

Professional Poster

It's not trans-related, but it's quite reminiscent of a case this week in Malaysia where a couple is prohibited from marrying because (a) it's illegal for Muslims & Christians to marry, and also (b) the religious court won't allow recognition that the woman has converted from Islam to Christianity. I do feel sorry for people who live in religious-run countries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lina_Joy

Ugh! Isnt it sad to be denied basic human rights just because you were born with the wrong body parts?

~Kisses.

HTG

Junior Poster

There's so much more crap going worth worrying about.. and they get hung up on a married couple.

I love when state and religion breed. The stupidity produced makes Rain Man seem like Stephen Hawking.

Hmm... maybe later.

Wow... That's all I can say really. That, and that I'm not surprised that this is happening in that part of the world. I mean, there's a long way to go here as well, but to throw people in jail...

Then again, that's not exactly unimaginable here, now is it?

"We are irritated by rascals, intolerant of fools, and prepared to love the rest. But where are they?"- Mignon McLaughlin

Makes one think were still somewhat lucky we dont live in those countries huh?

~Kisses.

HTG

Quote Originally Posted by Hara_Juku Tgirl

~Kisses.

HTG
    Hara, you know I love you, but that kinda shit happens here. Several states have rule that despite completing SRS, a person's gender is defined by their chromosome and have invalidated marriages on that basis.

in Kansas
    http://dir.salon.com/story/mwt/featu...ing/index.html

in Texas
    http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/marr07.shtml

in Florida
    http://oc-divorce.typepad.com/califo...ort/index.html

Sad, but true.

FK

Quote Originally Posted by Felicia Katt
    Quote Originally Posted by Hara_Juku Tgirl

~Kisses.

HTG
    Hara, you know I love you, but that kinda shit happens here. Several states have rule that despite completing SRS, a person's gender is defined by their chromosome and have invalidated marriages on that basis.

in Kansas
    http://dir.salon.com/story/mwt/featu...ing/index.html

in Texas
    http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/marr07.shtml

in Florida
    http://oc-divorce.typepad.com/califo...ort/index.html

Sad, but true.

FK
    I know you do. LOL But I was saying..what I meant was - Their law covered the whole country whereas here in the USA the laws vary by state. People can easily move and ofcourse it's not as bad as moving to a different country Felicia.

~Kisses.

HTG