Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

1) we listened to the song "fish heads, fish heads, rolley-polley fish heads..." on the radio and we liked it.

2) we first learned about sex through actual (not virtual) experience.

3) cheerleaders actually lead the audience in cheers relevant to what was going on in the game instead of putting on a competing gymnastics show.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Rookie Poster

Also, when did EVERYBODY get a 42" TV? I remember being perfectly content with my 13" Samsung all through college, but now I complain if I have to try and watch on anything smaller that 32"... does House's head need to be bigger than mine?

I remember the first person that had cable. Everyone came over and we watched fame. We couldn't believe they showed titties. Damn talk about times changing.

Professional Poster celticgrafix's Avatar

DAMN MAYNE IM 26, ITS SAD BUT TRUE AND FUNNY AS HELL

Junior Poster

There was a lot less worry about being politically correct. Parents could actually discipline their kids in public (spanking on the butt) and not worry about someone reporting you to the police for child abuse.

Junior Poster

FYI - I'll be 30 in July.

1. TV went OFF! And it came back on around or 6, and the national anthem played.

2. No microwave, VCR, cable, et al. We might have been late adopters for some of those things but it wasn't unusual. We got cable when i was like 10 - around the same time we got the rest of those things.

3. Families w/ 1 car. I don't know if that was only an NYC thing, but we had one car until I was like 12. We'd walk a lot and get dragged around all the time. Dropping off dad at the train was common.

4. Kids riding their bikes around (w/ no helmets). When I was a kid it was definately less safe than today. However, I saw far more kids then than now, and they had more freedom. We've become a nation scared of everything.

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by trish
    1) we listened to the song "fish heads, fish heads, rolley-polley fish heads..." on the radio and we liked it.

2) we first learned about sex through actual (not virtual) experience.

3) cheerleaders actually lead the audience in cheers relevant to what was going on in the game instead of putting on a competing gymnastics show.
    Hah! Dr Demento!!

Professional Poster

this is a great thread!!very refreshing in a nostalgic way for the ha....im 40 and some of the this is too funny...i remember tube t.v.s that needed to warm up before a picture appeared(member the tube testers at the front of the grocery store!!-fuck atari3000 i'm talking tubes fellas)..there where only like 5 channels and barbara walters on the today show was young...an who ever heard about air conditionede schools they all had windows and you cooked in the spring/early fall and weezed with the clangin steam heaters in the winter.....remember when sony walkmans were 200 us dollars...

Junior Poster

Did they actually do the remake of 'Life on Mars' for US TV? I know they announced they were going to, but did it air?

In the UK, Life on Mars was about a policeman in a modern day car accident, who awakes to find he is a policeman in 1973 - or perhaps he is in a coma today, fighting for his life. Life on Mars played quite a bit on the things we take for granted now not beng around then.

There's a sequel out at the moment, Ashes to Ashes, Bowie-esque. A police psychologist gets shot and appears to be back in 1981, the dawn of political correctness.

Rookie Poster

Quote Originally Posted by McB
    4.We sent away for whatever piece of trash they where selling and the end of the comic book and it took 4 to 6 weeks to get.
    Sea monkeys and plastic army men are not trash.