Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Poster

Default French woman who sought euthanasia dies (Dr. Death again?)

French woman who sought euthanasia dies

By MIKAEL HOLTER, Associated Press WriterThu Mar 20, 12:37 AM ET

A woman who suffered from a painful facial tumor and had drawn headlines across France with her quest for doctor-assisted suicide was found dead Wednesday, an official said.

Chantal Sebire, a former schoolteacher and mother of three, was found at her home in the eastern French town of Plombieres-les-Dijon, a government official said on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the matter publicly. The circumstances of her death were not immediately clear.

Sebire, 52, was diagnosed nearly eight years ago with esthesioneuroblastoma, a rare form of cancer. The illness left her blind, and with no sense of smell or taste, her lawyer said. She could not use morphine to ease the intense eye pain because of the side effects.

On Monday, a court in the city of Dijon rejected Sebire's request to be allowed to receive a lethal dose of barbiturates under a doctor's supervision. It refused the request for doctor-assisted suicide because of French law and out of concern for medical ethics.

Sebire's case revived a debate in France about the right to die. She received national attention after the media published heartbreaking before-and-after pictures that made her suffering instantly apparent. The tumor had burrowed through her sinuses and nasal cavities, causing her nose to swell to several times its original size, and pushing one of her eyes out of her head.

Unlike in France, euthanasia is legal in both Belgium and the Netherlands, and Luxembourg is in the process of passing a law to allow it. In Switzerland, counselors or physicians can prepare the lethal dose, but patients must take it on their own.

Sounds like Dr. Kevokian to me. Though I'm sure their are plenty of other possibilities.

Personally I think euthanasia is a reprehensible idea. Their is always a better way out than death. It just may not be the easy way out. Like the woman in this story. Their would have to be someway a surgeon could fix that without killing her. If not a cure perhaps a way to make life more bearable.

So sad.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	apphotoofthepoorwoman_204.jpg 
Views:	448 
Size:	13.0 KB 
ID:	171243  

Platinum Poster

I strongly disagree. I think anyone who is against a person's right to a dignified death(and an end to their suffering) by euthanasia is living in the dark ages.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Poe

5 Star Poster

I never said their ought to be a law against it. I just personally find it reprehensible.

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

I have to agree with Chefmike on this one. Just who in this situation do you find reprehensible. The woman who made the decision to die is the one person best situated to evaluate the worth of continued survival.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Quote Originally Posted by chefmike
    I strongly disagree. I think anyone who is against a person's right to a dignified death(and an end to their suffering) by euthanasia is living in the dark ages.
    I couldn't agree more.

-Quinn

Life is essentially one long Benny Hill skit punctuated by the occasional Anne Frank moment.

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by sexyshana
    what difference does it make if she is a club kid or not, she looks good and in the end we were all boys at one time no? she looks great, enjoy it!
    buy her tits if you would rather she had some.
    BEEP BEEP!

5 Star Poster

What I find reprehensible is the act of committing suicide. I don't care about the "reason". It is simply taking the easy way out. Life is worth more than that.

Now I don't know the woman as a person to be able to say that "she is reprehensible". Her action is another story. You say she was suffering. Many people suffer not many kill themselves. [i]Those who suffer and are living are who I really feel for. They can be helped, perhaps made to feel better someday.[i]

People who have decided to die aren't worth even the emotion. I mean, hey, they want to kill themselves, they think themselves so worthless as to end it all.

Platinum Poster

Who are you to judge this woman? It's very easy for you to be so smug and judgemental when you haven't suffered through what she has. You also haven't suffered through what many others did who desperately wanted nothing more than an end to their horrible suffering. You haven't walked a mile in their moccasins, and I daresay you wouldn't want to.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Poe

Once Again, I agree with the Chef. Brenda's response IS smug, by definition of the word.

Quote Originally Posted by sexyshana
    what difference does it make if she is a club kid or not, she looks good and in the end we were all boys at one time no? she looks great, enjoy it!
    buy her tits if you would rather she had some.
    BEEP BEEP!

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

What makes you think choosing suicide is easier than choosing to live? I imagine it takes courage and strength of character to even face that decision honestly and to follow through with one's decision, no matter what that decision is. The easy course is to avoid thinking about the choices available to you and just place your fate in the hands of your doctors.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.