Junior Poster

Default Would you do it?

I am considering taking a 2-3yr work assignment in China. Great opportunity, great money, great life experience. However the downfall is leaving my family for that length of time. Would you do it or pass on a great opportunity for the sake of your family?

Junior Poster

Yep....But find out about the air quality at the place you are considering moving to. 2-3 years of breathing in crap can be pretty tough on your health.

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."

Banned again for being a jizzmop, oh well! Gold Poster

Default Re: Would you do it?

Quote Originally Posted by will802
    I am considering taking a 2-3yr work assignment in China. Great opportunity, great money, great life experience. However the downfall is leaving my family for that length of time. Would you do it or pass on a great opportunity for the sake of your family?
    That depends on the definition of "family". Would I go off on an adventure without my parents or siblings? Of course I would. If you mean leaving behind your wife and/or children, no, I would not do that.

Thankfully, I don't have a wife or children so it wouldn't really be an issue in my case. On the other hand, I have no desire to live in China, so the answer would still be no.

ummmmm what? sorry. Shes keeping me occupied.

Depends on whether i have kids, and how old the are. If there younger than 12, then no.

blckhaze- A quickie in the back of a carriage going around Central park south

RubyTS- been there done that :P

Junior Poster

yes wife and 3 kids all under 12....My wife is ok with it just not sure how kids will take it.

I really can't speak from the family point of view as I am closer to the local barkeeps than I am to my family, so that wouldn't be a deciding factor for me.

When you say "...the money is great...", is it 'great' enough to afford an annual or semi-annual holiday to vizzit home (Or bring them to China for a whole-family cultural experience)? That could help.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

Junior Poster

all built into the per diem payout. I need to spend 330 days or more per yr living there to qualify for the expat tax breaks (i think) that is still things that need a definitive answer.

Quote Originally Posted by BeardedOne
    I really can't speak from the family point of view as I am closer to the local barkeeps than I am to my family, so that wouldn't be a deciding factor for me.

When you say "...the money is great...", is it 'great' enough to afford an annual or semi-annual holiday to vizzit home (Or bring them to China for a whole-family cultural experience)? That could help.

Junior Poster

yes that is true and the financial windfall is hard to pass up
    Quote Originally Posted by flabeeboi
    if the money is right take it ! its no different then going to the military