Page 228 of 228 FirstFirst ... 128178218223224225226227228
Results 2,271 to 2,273 of 2273
    Senior Member Silver Poster MrFanti's Avatar

Default Re: Thought for the Day

As a person with African roots, I find the ironies and hypocrisies here to be absolutely hilarious!

-"Colored People" is offensive yet...

--"People of Color" is just fine...
    --"NAACP" is just fine...
    --"Black People" is just fine as well (even though none of us have Black skin)...

"I am, a SIGMA Male...

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Default Re: Thought for the Day

It may be a characteristic of Trump that, having escaped another assassination attempt, he begs for money. But what underlines this is the extent to which gun violence has become a normal part of American life. I don't know when it became normalized, I suspect a long time ago, but I don't think we need speculate that this aspect of American life is not going to go away, decline or more importantly, be addressed as a political issue that has or even needs a solution, when the obvious solution is to either Repeal the 2nd Amendment, or amend it to establish a clearer meaning, if anyone can think of one.

Does the 2nd Amendment give one American the right to purchase a firearm in order to kill another? I don't think so.

But it might also be a step forward if politicians and their supporters did not use the rhetoric of violence to campaign for what they think will be a better America. I don't know how the use of words like 'bloodbath', 'retribution' or 'Stalingrad every day' is supposed to calm nerves, but when Harris and Walz say Americans should focus on what unites rather than divides them, I do feel that dolphin has sunk beneath the waves, and is unlikely to re-surface soon. Elon Musk, speculating on why there has not -we assume- been an assassination attempt on Kamala Harris will be criticized by some, but the views he holds don't inspire confidence that the 'concept' of political assassination is totally unacceptable. Just as the attempt to normalize the attack on the Capitol on Jan 6 2021 deepens the anxieties some people have about the future of the USA. If it has one.