Page 29 of 39 FirstFirst ... 192425262728293031323334 ... LastLast
    filghy2 Silver Poster

Default Re: Trannies for Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
    And hey, we've got our share of stupid people too, that's for damn sure. And I feel kinda bad for them, but what are you gonna do for people who just can't follow the program? I guess we have jobs out there that stupid people can do too. They don't pay very well, but it's probably for the best if our stupidest people don't have the resources to reproduce anyway.
    Be careful what you wish for. Stupid people are your hero's primary support base.

Again, your argument ignores the key point. The American way of capitalism is only one possible model, and a pretty extreme one at that. There are plenty of other countries that manage to achieve high living standards without the extent of inequality seen in the US, and with less of the other social problems (such as gun violence).

3 out of 3 members liked this post.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Regarding "Project Blitz" or whatever hell it is - I personally have never heard of it - I guess I can understand why a non-American might read about that and think it's a lot bigger deal than it actually is. Religion no longer sells in America. I mean yes, there is that huge Baby Boomer portion of the population, and a lot of them are Christians. But young people these days are pretty much taking a pass, and as go the young people, so goes the country.
    I accept that the US is a diverse place and that what happens in one state might not happen in another. The Federal government may have withdrawn its support for the Paris Climate Change agreement, it remains the basis on which many individual states combat emissions and promote green energy solutions. Just as some states have legalized Marijuana at the same time that the Attorney General advocates increasing, rather than decreasing imprisonment for drug-related crimes.

The signal point is not that Religion is in decline in the US, but that what 'Project Blitz' does is to put into law expressions of religious fidelity in public life, disregarding the Constitutional provision to separate religion from politics. This is not some obscure group of fanatics but actual policy in States across the Union, and it not only directly affects LGBTQIAPN/B Americans, the use of State law to limit access to Abortion is directly affecting women. It may be easy for you dismiss the importance of people who are a minority in the country, you can't say that of women, and, crucially, the policy on Abortion is not determined by medical tests or any scientific test, but has its origin in the application of Religion as the force shaping public policy. It is real, it is happening and like Voter Suppression it really does make a difference. Across the USA the number of people denied the vote because they are Black or have a prison record is numbered in the millions, not the thousands.

Even if you accept your hysterical President is a 'here today, gone tomorrow' politician, he is but one part of a 'Conservative', more precisely Religious movement that pre-dated him, and will outlast him, but uses him to energize people who do share their values, even if they are all over 50 years old. Far from offering a leadership for all Americans, this one is partisan, though he has no real interest in Religion (he doesn't even know the words to God Bless America), but uses the Evangelicals for his own purposes.

Yes, the 'Parkland' Generation when they are adult voters may repeal the 2nd Amendment, and undo the Religious laws of today, but in the meantime LGBTQIAPN/B Americas are losing their Rights, and for them that matters now, today, and it is no consolation to be told it will work out fine -in 20 years time. Politics doesn't stand still, but you can if you want to, while those determined to do so, re-invent the USA as the place they want to live in, with no regard for your Constitutional rights.

Your threshold for evidence is pretty low if you consider one guy who took 5 years to get a 4-year degree and can't seem to get a handle on 10k in student loan debt to "effectively" prove that capitalism is broken. I'm not sure what Yodajazz's problem is but I can guarantee you he's got more than one.

The rebels and the malcontents, the lazy and the dishonest; those people are always going to have problems in the USA, unless they get their shit together.

And hey, we've got our share of stupid people too, that's for damn sure. And I feel kinda bad for them, but what are you gonna do for people who just can't follow the program? I guess we have jobs out there that stupid people can do too. They don't pay very well, but it's probably for the best if our stupidest people don't have the resources to reproduce anyway.
    I was simply trying to show in a personal example, of how people are are affected, by certain issues. I assume that you might be aware of what some call, "the student debt crisis". Here is one such article: http://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2018/...an-debt-crisis But also personal stories, multiplied do become national issues, sometimes. In fact my daughter, testified about her college loan experience, before a congressional committee, in Washington.

Once again let me state, that i believe that anyone, not matter what the circumstances can rise to success. But there are many people, whos chances of success a much more limited due to circumstances, of birth. Consider a 22 year old, shot dead in Walmart, because he was carrying an air rifle, that he had picked up off the shelf of the store. Someone in the store was scared and called the police, who shot him. And he had two young children, who may grow up with influence from his legacy. As a person, who has deeply contemplated spiritual issues, I think the world would be a better place, if people like you, consider yourself as blessed, rather than look at others, who are less successful, as somehow, deficient. For nearly every great successful person, there is someone, more talented, who is not as successful.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

Senior Member Professional Poster

People shouldn't get big loans for college that the marketplace cannot support. The government should not fund it either because it raises the cost of all degrees.

People here are mad at Trump but why don't more people vocalize their anger with these college professors that make $300,000 per year? They're fatcats just like 99% of the politicians!!!

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

“By rank, the average was $98,974 for professors, $69,911 for associate professors, $58,662 for assistant professors, $42,609 for instructors, and $48,289 for lecturers. Faculty in 4-year institutions earn higher salaries, on average, than do those in 2-year schools.”
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Profes..._United_States

“The average annual salary for head coaches at major colleges (not including four schools that moved up to the Football Bowl Subdivision this season) is $1.64 million, up nearly 12% over last season — and more than 70% since 2006, when USA TODAY Sports began tracking coaches' compensation.” https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...rease/1715435/

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Senior Member Professional Poster

Sounds like that Wiki page was written by the professors!

Why not look up the state professors and their salaries? It's public record. I did near my house and tenured professors make 200-250k per year. The Wiki page likely has skewed data including tons of part-time professors.

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

I compliment you on your cherry picking skills. The averages include salaries of professor at first, second and third tier institutions. Duties and expectations are of course higher at higher ranking universities. Also the averages no doubt include professors of all ranks (assistant, associate and full). And of course stars, Fields Medalists and Nobel Laureates are able to demand higher salaries (although nothing even comparble to what star coaches make). The following is a list of employee positions and their salaries for F17 at Michigan State University. You will notice that professors are not anywhere close to the main cost of running a university even if you restrict your attention to personnel and salaries only.

https://msu.edu/state-transparency-r...SalaryList.pdf

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Quote Originally Posted by BostonBad View Post
    Sounds like that Wiki page was written by the professors!
    Why not look up the state professors and their salaries? It's public record. I did near my house and tenured professors make 200-250k per year. The Wiki page likely has skewed data including tons of part-time professors.
    Are you confusing Professors with Chancellors?
    The median annual Chancellor salary is $268,110, as of May 30, 2018, with a range usually between $217,948-$323,539, however this can vary widely depending on a variety of factors. Our team of Certified Compensation Professionals has analyzed survey data collected from thousands of HR departments at companies of all sizes and industries to present this range of annual salaries for people with the job title Chancellor in the United States.
    https://www1.salary.com/Chancellor-Salaries.html

Probably best move to the UK...
    https://www.timeshighereducation.com...#survey-answer

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by BostonBad View Post
    People here are mad at Trump but why don't more people vocalize their anger with these college professors that make $300,000 per year? They're fatcats just like 99% of the politicians!!!
    Let me rephrase this: People are mad at the billionaire who ran a fraudulent university so why don't they vocalize their anger at hard-working educators who get paid a salary commensurate with their worth? People are mad at our billionaire President who stripped rights from the lgbt community but why don't they vocalize their anger at hard-working educators who make six figures a year? Nobel Prize winners are the real enemy of the working class not the guy who pisses in a golden toilet bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by broncofan View Post
    Let me rephrase this: People are mad at the billionaire who ran a fraudulent university so why don't they vocalize their anger at hard-working educators who get paid a salary commensurate with their worth? People are mad at our billionaire President who stripped rights from the lgbt community but why don't they vocalize their anger at hard-working educators who make six figures a year? Nobel Prize winners are the real enemy of the working class not the guy who pisses in a golden toilet bowl.
    The tragedy for your country, Broncofan, is that your President has no interest in education. On his website during the Presidential campaign there were 'Positions' (rather than policies) on taxes, immigration, and so forth -not a word on education. This indifference to education may be based on the decline of enrollment in university -particularly by lower income groups- as an expensive option with no job guarantees, as well as the malign view that universities are waste of time anyway, which links to the broader issue of the rejection of science as a means of determining the truth of anything. Add in those supporters of the President's party who assume universities and colleges to be liberal or left-wing factories and you end up digging the grave of your economy as if the promise 'jobs will return' is all that matters:
    If more than a third of the country, and six in 10 Republicans, think that institutions of higher education are harming the country, it’s hard to imagine that won’t eventually result in larger drops in enrollment. And since, whatever Trump says, those manufacturing and mining jobs almost certainly aren’t coming back to their old levels, that could create a drag on the nation’s economy in the future.
    https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...o-much/533130/

Aside from the cost, what incentive is there for a Transgendered teenage from a dysfunctional home to get off the streets and off the dope, and turn their lives around if the basic means -an affordable education- is no longer an option? Together with the latest proposals from the Housing Department to triple the rents on public housing beyond what people can pay, and you wonder if this President is conducting a nationwide vendetta against the Americans who didn't vote for him.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.dbe6e9a65e1a