Page 25 of 43 FirstFirst ... 15202122232425262728293035 ... LastLast
    I've done my service Platinum Poster Willie Escalade's Avatar

Default Re: Mass Shooting at DK premiere in CO!

Quote Originally Posted by robertlouis View Post
    No comments, just facts.
    Can't argue with this...

William Escalade is no more. He's done his service to the site.

Wow, this needs to be reposted. Any pro-gun argument pales in comparison with these facts. Thanks robertlouis!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gun%20stats.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	487245  

No comments, just facts.
    Nice "facts".. might one ask which year your stats are from?

Figure 2.3 Countries ranked by violent death rate per 100,000 population, 2004-09

Source: GBAV 2011 database

Figure 2.3(detail) Countries with average annual violent death rates of more than 30 per 100,000 population, 2004-09

Lets stick to "real" facts...

Junior Poster

Well, if you Google "countries with most per capita gun deaths" you find USA with 10.3 per 100k per year according to CDC. And while I can't vouch for the numbers, it's hard to believe that some of the places on Faldur's list are worse than us. Regardless, the gun laws need to be tightened. I don't mind the 2nd Amendment, but there has to be some limits. Sure, NRA folks vote. But so do I. And hopefully sensible people can rule on this issue.

No comments, just facts.
    Just to put your numbers in perspective, in 2010 (I would've loved to have used 2011 numbers, but the FBI hasn't published them yet. If they have, I couldn't find them.) 8,734 Americans were murdered with firearms . In comparison, 2,437,163 Americans died in the same year. Firearm related murders account for, get this, less than .004% of American deaths. A total of one American being killed with a firearm every 60.22 minutes while at the same time one American dies nearly every 13 seconds from other causes (we're dropping like flies). One American dies every 6 minutes in a hostital because of mistakes or infection, for crying out loud. I'm almost four times as likely to die in a car crash as I am to be shot. Maybe, we need background checks and waiting periods to buy cars.

From the CDC the top ten causes of death in America is:
    Heart disease: 599,413
    Cancer: 567,628
    Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 137,353
    Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 128,842
    Accidents (unintentional injuries): 118,021
    Alzheimer's disease: 79,003
    Diabetes: 68,705
    Influenza and Pneumonia: 53,692
    Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 48,935
    Intentional self-harm (suicide): 36,909

Just the facts.

Just because I'm telling you this story doesn't mean that I'm alive at the end of it.

onmyknees Platinum Poster onmyknees's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Faldur View Post
    Nice "facts".. might one ask which year your stats are from?

Figure 2.3 Countries ranked by violent death rate per 100,000 population, 2004-09

Figure 2.3(detail) Countries with average annual violent death rates of more than 30 per 100,000 population, 2004-09

Lets stick to "real" facts...

Thanks for the clarification Faldur. I grow weary from the misinformation put forward by some of these posters. What RL will apparently never be able to reconcile ( either because of his ideology or his birthplace) is that we as Americans understand that many of our freedoms come with perils. We weigh those perils against the loss of those freedoms. The Perils of freedom....many died for freedom......many are killed by it. We need character reform....not a change to our Constitution. In his book, Democracy in America, de Tocqueville observed that Ordinary Americans enjoyed too much power, claimed too great a voice in the public sphere, to defer to intellectual superiors. This culture promoted a relatively pronounced equality. I've noticed the loudest voices in favor of infringing on rights are those that fancy themselves as intellectual. That's the point blokes like RL can't quite digest. He's visited America, but he doesn't know America. He's a bit down on the US lately. Ask the Syrians if they'll be asking the Finns, The Spanish, or the UN for help from an increasingly brutal tyrant. Somewhere in the world there's a dirty, dangerous mess that needs to be cleaned up, and more likely than the rest of the world will find some excuse not to do it...and they'll bash the US with the left hand, and beg for help with the right. I'm not quite putting RL in that category, but he's getting dangerously close.

Quote Originally Posted by loren View Post
    Just to put your numbers in perspective, in 2010 (I would've loved to have used 2011 numbers, but the FBI hasn't published them yet. If they have, I couldn't find them.) 8,734 Americans were murdered with firearms . In comparison, 2,437,163 Americans died in the same year. Firearm related murders account for, get this, less than .004% of American deaths. A total of one American being killed with a firearm every 60.22 minutes while at the same time one American dies nearly every 13 seconds from other causes (we're dropping like flies). One American dies every 6 minutes in a hostital because of mistakes or infection, for crying out loud. I'm almost four times as likely to die in a car crash as I am to be shot. Maybe, we need background checks and waiting periods to buy cars.

From the CDC the top ten causes of death in America is:
    Heart disease: 599,413
    Cancer: 567,628
    Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 137,353
    Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 128,842
    Accidents (unintentional injuries): 118,021
    Alzheimer's disease: 79,003
    Diabetes: 68,705
    Influenza and Pneumonia: 53,692
    Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 48,935
    Intentional self-harm (suicide): 36,909

Just the facts.

You can't compare firearm murders with death from disease and natural causes, that's ridiculous. The point is that the gun deaths might have been prevented. And of those 36,909 suicides, how many involved a gun? I'd bet the majority of them.

Professional Poster BluegrassCat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by onmyknees View Post
    Thanks for the clarification Faldur. I grow weary from the misinformation put forward by some of these posters. What RL will apparently never be able to reconcile ( either because of his ideology or his birthplace) is that we as Americans understand that many of our freedoms come with perils. We weigh those perils against the loss of those freedoms. The Perils of freedom....many died for freedom......many are killed by it. We need character reform....not a change to our Constitution. In his book, Democracy in America, de Tocqueville observed that Ordinary Americans enjoyed too much power, claimed too great a voice in the public sphere, to defer to intellectual superiors. This culture promoted a relatively pronounced equality. I've noticed the loudest voices in favor of infringing on rights are those that fancy themselves as intellectual. That's the point blokes like RL can't quite digest. He's visited America, but he doesn't know America. He's a bit down on the US lately. Ask the Syrians if they'll be asking the Finns, The Spanish, or the UN for help from an increasingly brutal tyrant. Somewhere in the world there's a dirty, dangerous mess that needs to be cleaned up, and more likely than the rest of the world will find some excuse not to do it...and they'll bash the US with the left hand, and beg for help with the right. I'm not quite putting RL in that category, but he's getting dangerously close.
    Nice copy and paste from Wikipedia. Alexis de Tocqueville - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Senior Member Veteran Poster SFTB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by giovanni_hotel View Post
    No offense Kitti, but that Anaheim shooting is only outrageous to non-Black people.
    Sorry Gio, the Nation's Top Cop and President are black, if there is some heat you feel from police, blame it on them.

I'm always amazed when White people are shocked when they aren't treated with the utmost respect by law enforcement.
    Gio, it's time to stop with the racism. I work with immigrants who risked everything to come here. They work their asses off, and they're going to be somebody someday, and do well for their families. If you feel held back, it might be time to look inward instead of outward.

Honestly, you can stockpile all the ammo and guns you can find and you wouldn't have the firepower to take on the U.S. military or the National Guard if they are given instructions to 'put down' an domestic insurgent force.

Uncle Sam has tanks and 50 caliber machine guns. Lots of em. End of story.
    You really should read a history book.
    Look up American Revolution, see how some farmers and townfolk took on the biggest army and navy in the known world. Or the French Revolution, or the overthrow of the Czars.

Professional Poster BluegrassCat's Avatar

And as we know from the history books the Confederacy successfully left the Union and formed its own country.