Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Senior Member Veteran Poster Corran's Avatar

Default Re: John Hurt as The Doctor!!! :D

Quote Originally Posted by smoothboi View Post
    No, he's not Twelve. Eleven wouldn't be able to see his future incarnations. He's either the Valeyard, mentioned previously in the episode, or an incarnation prior to One.
    Sure he would. The First, Second and Third Doctor all saw their future incarnations in the Five Doctors. The second met the Sixth in the Two Doctors.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

queer slut Junior Poster

Eh. Fair enough, but I just don't think based on the contemporary series that the future concept applies. Just tv wise it would seem to lock them in to a specific future incarnation, whereas if it's a Zeroth Doctor or a lost incarnation between Eight and Nine, then they have more latitude in the storytelling.

Senior Member Silver Poster EvaCassini's Avatar

honestly, i believe Hurt is 8.5...between McGann and Eccleston. Hurt is the "Doctor" during the "Last Great Time War"...the doctor who commited millions to rot and die...he was the one who locked the Time Lords and the Daleks in the Time Lock Bubble Universe.

So...there maybe A LOT of great things to spring to life in the 50th Anniversary.

Quote Originally Posted by EvaCassini View Post
    honestly, i believe Hurt is 8.5...between McGann and Eccleston. Hurt is the "Doctor" during the "Last Great Time War"...the doctor who commited millions to rot and die...he was the one who locked the Time Lords and the Daleks in the Time Lock Bubble Universe.

So...there maybe A LOT of great things to spring to life in the 50th Anniversary.
    Yea, we know he is from the past because the 11th knows what he did. Done for peace, but as the 11th said, "Not in the name of the Doctor." We know Tennant is coming back but will it be as 10 or the clone left in the other universe? Since Rose is coming, I'm inclined to believe it's the clone. Here's the but...10 left him with Rose to ground him, to curb those violent impulses. BUT, what if it didn't work out, the clone could be mad as hell he got left on Earth in an alternate universe. We know the Doctor doesen't like to stay in one place too long and being stuck might have made him a little nuts too. Tennant as a bad guy? Maybe.
    Anyway, I'm all excited for the 50th. Bring it on!!

It certainly sounded like Hurt was the person the Doctor was, before he became "The Doctor" - the zeroth Doctor, as it were .
    Amazing how they were able to keep this secret until the big reveal !

Quote Originally Posted by EvaCassini View Post
    OMFG THIS IS AWESOME!!!
    Wow that will be awesome! He'll make a brilliant Doctor! Thanks Eva, luvs ya!

Old Biddy Silver Poster Gillian's Avatar

I pleased to hear you guys over there like (and get) Doctor Who. I didn't realise it had such international appeal. I watched it from behind the couch as a kid in the 70s and mostly remember the Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker eras. Still get a cold sweat when I think about episodes involving giant, irradiated maggots down a Welsh mine.

A bit too old for it now but agree that Steven Moffat is a genius ...

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

SHARP SHOOTING SOUNDS Rookie Poster supersharpshooter's Avatar

In the BBC tv series and the BBC film there have been 11 doctors so far, including Matt Smith.
    If you take into account the films with Peter Cushing and the BBC audio series with Richard E Grant then that makes 14 doctors.
    So Hurt can't be the 11th Doctor.
    There is no reason to think that Hurt couldn't be a previous incarnation of Doctor Who, one who existed before Hartnell.
    Hartnell was never referred to as the first doctor in any of the series so it is quite possible that although Matt Smith is the 11th/12th/joint 13th doctor in the BBC series, he may not be the 11th/12th/joint 13th Doctor in his regeneration.

Steven Moffat is a poor series producer and not a great writer, he comes up with ideas which, although seem good, quickly run out of steam. He obviously doesn't think what the ending is until during the writing of an episode. Which is never a good idea.
    His episodes are lazy, with too much emphasis on the Doctors companions but he does not give them enough depth, or make them interesting enough for them to be cared about.

If Moffat has to resort to a story concerning the time war then Doctor Who will really be running out of steam.

Its far more likely the explanation of John Hurt's character will be lazy and disappointing.

I should add at this point, I think Doctor Who is crap.

0 out of 2 members liked this post.

Thatchers state funeral should be privatised. Its what she would have wanted

Why do you watch it? Its silly great stuff with storylines no more complex than i used to act out with my star wars figures when i was 6

.....,, or when i was 36, i cant remember

One of the two.....

Maybe that makes me a gayer

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Quote Originally Posted by supersharpshooter View Post
    In the BBC tv series and the BBC film there have been 11 doctors so far, including Matt Smith.
    If you take into account the films with Peter Cushing and the BBC audio series with Richard E Grant then that makes 14 doctors.
    So Hurt can't be the 11th Doctor.
    There is no reason to think that Hurt couldn't be a previous incarnation of Doctor Who, one who existed before Hartnell.
    Hartnell was never referred to as the first doctor in any of the series so it is quite possible that although Matt Smith is the 11th/12th/joint 13th doctor in the BBC series, he may not be the 11th/12th/joint 13th Doctor in his regeneration.

Steven Moffat is a poor series producer and not a great writer, he comes up with ideas which, although seem good, quickly run out of steam. He obviously doesn't think what the ending is until during the writing of an episode. Which is never a good idea.
    His episodes are lazy, with too much emphasis on the Doctors companions but he does not give them enough depth, or make them interesting enough for them to be cared about.

If Moffat has to resort to a story concerning the time war then Doctor Who will really be running out of steam.

Its far more likely the explanation of John Hurt's character will be lazy and disappointing.

I should add at this point, I think Doctor Who is crap.
    Then why post something negative in a discussion where we're talking positively about the show. If you're not a fan, that's fine. Just no need to mention it here.