Page 220 of 235 FirstFirst ... 120170210215216217218219220221222223224225230 ... LastLast
Results 2,191 to 2,200 of 2347

Default Re: 17yr old black kid shot and killed for walking in white suburbia?

He was suspicious. Would I have been? Most likely not, I probably wouldn't have even bothered following him. Carrying a gun around is wrong? Well that's a whole different issue.

I think they were both knuckleheads and this unfortunate event could have been avoided. A guilty verdict beyond a reasonable doubt was really hard to attain since there are a lack of witnesses and Jeantels version of the events wasn't believable. That's about it.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Senior Member Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by dderek123 View Post
    Racism. When two minorities go to court and one loses.
    To paraphrase a tweet I saw last night:

A black man is shot by a Hispanic man, who is acquitted by an all woman jury... but it's still the fault of racist white men.

and Jeantels version of the events wasn't believable.
    Admitting to quite a few lies while on the stand can cause that... doubly so when some of those perjurious lies were instrumental in the bringing of the charges.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

He was suspicious. Would I have been? Most likely not, I probably wouldn't have even bothered following him. Carrying a gun around is wrong? Well that's a whole different issue.

I think they were both knuckleheads and this unfortunate event could have been avoided. A guilty verdict beyond a reasonable doubt was really hard to attain since there are a lack of witnesses and Jeantels version of the events wasn't believable. That's about it.
    Yeah...and I'm glad so far everything is mostly calm...I think a lot of that stems from the given facts of this case, as seen by people that actually followed it, and realized how hard it was to be to get a guilty verdict in this case.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

Senior Member Silver Poster

Two guys:
    one is walking home from the local store.
    one is looking for trouble with a gun.

You don't need to be a mind reader to figure this one out.

World Class Asshole

Member Rookie Poster

DDerek Zinnerman was white/Hispanic not just Hispanic.

Quote Originally Posted by buttslinger View Post
    Two guys:
    one is walking home from the local store.
    one is looking for trouble with a gun.

You don't need to be a mind reader to figure this one out.
    The evidence presented in court suggests that's not how it went. I'm not a mind reader but I still know how to read. haha

1 out of 1 members liked this post.
    Last edited by dderek123; 07-14-2013 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Thanks for the info. So did race still have an affect on the outcome of the court case? I believe stereotyping probably had more influence.

Senior Member Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    And President Barack Obama is white/black... yet he is generally only called 'black'.

Why then is it important to point out the whiteness in half of the roots of Zimmerman but not Obama?

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Zimmerman is not guilty. I'm good with that. It's good that he had a trial. I make no claims about racism in this case, though it's clear Zimmerman profiled the boy he killed. But the claim that

our neighborhoods would be far better off if we had more people acting like GZ and fewer acting like TM.
    is crazy. Really? More vigilantes ignoring the police and killing more teenagers will make our gated communities even better? What we really need is less guns, no more concealed carry, an end to stand your ground laws and no more public sanctioned vigilantism.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

The evidence presented in court suggests that's not how it went. I'm not a mind reader but I still know how to read. haha

..again I agree. When the case was first reported I had a different viewpoint...but the evidence changed my mind on a few things.

I think maybe a discussion on guns and changing some laws (maybe) would once again be appropriate...but that's about it.