Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Marjorie Taylor Greene Is A Nice Lady Platinum Poster Dino Velvet's Avatar

Default Re: David Letterman announces on show he will retire in 2015.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/stephe...160100374.html

Stephen Colbert Named Letterman Replacement

By Aly Weisman 20 minutes ago

Comedy Central/"The Colbert Report"
    Comedy Central's "Colbert Report" host Stephen Colbert has just been named David Letterman's successor on CBS' "Late Show."
    The network just tweeted the news: " Stephen Colbert to be next host of "The Late Show."
    Colbert signed a 5-year agreement, starting when Letterman retires next year.
    Read the official press release from CBS below:
    The CBS Television Network today announced that Stephen Colbert, the host, writer and executive producer of the Emmy and Peabody Award-winning “The Colbert Report,” will succeed David Letterman as the host of THE LATE SHOW, effective when Mr. Letterman retires from the broadcast. The five-year agreement between CBS and Colbert was announced by Leslie Moonves, President and CEO, CBS Corporation, and Nina Tassler, Chairman of CBS Entertainment.
    Letterman, the legendary, critically acclaimed host of the CBS late night series for 21 years, announced his retirement on his April 3 broadcast . Colbert’s premiere date as host of THE LATE SHOW will be announced after Mr. Lettermen determines a timetable for his final broadcasts in 2015.
    Specific creative elements, as well as the producers and the location for the Colbert-hosted LATE SHOW, will be determined and announced at a later date.
    “Stephen Colbert is one of the most inventive and respected forces on television,” said Moonves. “David Letterman’s legacy and accomplishments are an incredible source of pride for all of us here, and today’s announcement speaks to our commitment of upholding what he established for CBS in late night.”
    “Stephen is a multi-talented and respected host, writer, producer, satirist and comedian who blazes a trail of thought-provoking conversation, humor and innovation with everything he touches,” said Tassler. ”He is a presence on every stage, with interests and notable accomplishments across a wide spectrum of entertainment, politics, publishing and music. We welcome Stephen to CBS with great pride and excitement, and look forward to introducing him to our network television viewers in late night.”
    “Simply being a guest on David Letterman’s show has been a highlight of my career,” said Colbert. “I never dreamed that I would follow in his footsteps, though everyone in late night follows Dave’s lead.”
    Adding, “I’m thrilled and grateful that CBS chose me. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to go grind a gap in my front teeth.”
    Since its launch on Comedy Central in 2005, “The Colbert Report” has received widespread critical acclaim while earning two Peabody Awards and 27 Emmy nominations, including an Emmy win for Outstanding Variety Series (2013) and three Emmy wins for Outstanding Writing for a Variety, Music or Comedy Program (2013, 2010, 200. Prior to that, Colbert spent eight years as a correspondent on Comedy Central’s “The Daily Show” as an on-air personality and writer of news satire for the Emmy and Peabody Award-winning series.
    In addition, Colbert is an accomplished author, with two books, I AM AMERICA (and So Can You!) and AMERICA AGAIN: Re-Becoming the Greatness We Never Weren’t , appearing on the New York Times best-seller list. AMERICA AGAIN also won a Grammy Award for Spoken Word (2014).
    In music, Colbert’s original holiday musical special on Comedy Central, “A Colbert Christmas,” won a Grammy Award for Best Comedy Album (2009) and Emmy nominations for Art Direction, Picture Editing and Original Music and Lyrics. In April 2011, Colbert starred as Harry in the New York Philharmonic presentation of Stephen Sondheim’s “Company.”
    After graduating from Northwestern University, Colbert was a member of Chicago’s acclaimed Second City improv troupe with Amy Sedaris and Paul Dinello. The trio later created and starred in the CableAce-nominated sketch comedy series, “Exit 57,” and created the cult-hit narrative series “Strangers with Candy,” both for Comedy Central.
    Colbert has appeared on series such as HBO’s “Curb Your Enthusiasm” and NBC’s “Law & Order: Criminal Intent.” He was also a cast member and writer on ABC’s “The Dana Carvey Show,” wrote for “Saturday Night Live” and voiced roles in DreamWorks’ animated films “Mr. Peabody and Sherman” and “Monsters vs. Aliens.”
    THE LATE SHOW is broadcast weeknights on the CBS Television Network from 11:35 PM - 12:37 AM, ET/PT.

Well, I guess it's a well deserved step up for Colbert. Love the Report, but to be honest, the phony O'Rielly/Beck/Hannity persona was starting to get a little old. It will be interesting to see him be himself.
    As a side note....I see in your post that the numeral eight has been replaced w/ one o those stupid yellow smiley things....this happened to me as well recently and I was unable to prevent it....what's up with that?

the Meek shall inherit the Earth....the Rest of Us will go to the Stars

Marjorie Taylor Greene Is A Nice Lady Platinum Poster Dino Velvet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EZWind View Post
    As a side note....I see in your post that the numeral eight has been replaced w/ one o those stupid yellow smiley things....this happened to me as well recently and I was unable to prevent it....what's up with that?
    I found that the "8" thing does that when you follow it with a ")".

As far as Colbert, I'm happy with it and will give him a shot. He could have broad demographic appeal and make CBS lots of money.

Colbert will be a nice change. Funnier than Fallon by a million times.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

Quote Originally Posted by dderek123 View Post
    Million times smarter as well. Jimmy is great at sketches and songs and such, but comes off as a lightweight where any kind of depth or thinking is required.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Quote Originally Posted by dderek123 View Post
    I strongly disagree, but what someone finds funny is an entirely subjective opinion.
    We'll see how the ratings turn out when they go head to head

0 out of 1 members liked this post.

Senior Member Silver Poster

Johnny Carson was KING, of course back then there were only two other channels to watch.

Dave should have stepped right into his shoes.

Rush Limbo said today that CBS has declared war on the American Heartland.

Colbert isn't shy about trashing Republicans. And O'Reilly is his favorite target.

Colbert was also a Sunday School teacher, he just might make those Midwest old ladies fall in love with him, just like Ice-T on Law & Order!!

Gonna miss Dave, and Paul. Good Times.

World Class Asshole

Gold Poster

I don't know if Stewart was ever in the running but I think he'd have been a better fit than Colbert. I used to watch their shows back to back and Stewart is able to be funny without the over-the-top shtick. I also think Colbert's interviews were a bit hokey, with the mock right wing sarcasm. Maybe I didn't watch his show enough though. But we'll see...I thought Colbert was great years ago at the white house correspondent's dinner.

Edit: actually I'm only saying I think Stewart would have been a better fit because I've never seen Colbert out of character. But CBS must know what they're doing.

0 out of 1 members liked this post.
    Last edited by broncofan; 04-12-2014 at 06:59 AM.

Senior Member Silver Poster

I was just reading about this, Jon Stewart has been in the running at the big networks for years, behind closed doors, he is the face of Comedy Central though, and they pay him well.

Colbert will not be playing the character he plays on the Report, he'll be himself, an adult.

I think I'll go download Season I of Strangers with Candy.

Dr Phil and Judge Judy make more than Dave, not to mention Oprah.

World Class Asshole