Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Default Re: Everyone here help bree!

I'd be curious to see the figures on how many of Jewish descent have been murdered in Germany compared to how many of African descent have been murdered in the US.

Good point. After WW2 the Jews started their new country, armed and defended themselves and turned the desert into a garden.

After 300 years of slavery blacks took a flag down and burned their neighborhoods in response to wrong information (hands-up-don't shoot.) Family units have been fractured, drug use is rampant and black on black and black on white crime is out of control.

Why? I ask what has been done, what have you done to reverse this? Some thought a Blackman in the Whitehouse would bring back some degree of sanity or at least some hope but that hasn't been the case. Instead we get flags and burning cities. I'm now suppose to feel guilty because of "White guilt".....white guilt...... No not Latino or Oriental guilt or any other immigrant or family heritage, White guilt, White privilege. Is that all you got to solve this issue? Place blame because of skin color? Sounds familiar doesn't it, sounds about 300 years old.

Maybe this post will cause some to think about their part and responsibility in changing the Human condition. Some might just want to attack me. I won't revisit this post to see the reactions.

0 out of 2 members liked this post.
    " I don't pay them(Women) for sex, I pay them to leave".

Charlie Sheen

Thumbs up Re: Everyone here help bree!

Tim Wise - 400 YEARS HEAD START AND ADVANTAGES

Affirmative Action Debate: Tim Wise 3/14- Intelligence Squared U.S.

The motion: "It's time to end affirmative action"

Moderator: Robert Siegel
    Speaking for the motion: John H. McWhorter, Terence J. Pell and Joseph C. Phillips
    Speaking against the motion: Khin Mai Aung, Kimberlé Crenshaw and Tim Wise

IQ2US marks the launch of Oxford-style debating -- one motion, one moderator, three advocates for the motion, three against -- in New York City. Each evening begins at 6:00P with a complimentary cocktail period. As you enter the theater before the debate starts at 6:45P, you cast your vote for or against the evening's motion. Those results are displayed midway through the debate as each side makes its statements. After all six panelists speak, the audience has a chance to ask the speakers questions and vote again. The debate finishes with brief summations from the panelists, the votes are tallied and a winning side is declared

White Pride and Other Delusions:

Reflections on the Rage of the Uninformed

By Tim Wise

"The price the white American paid for his ticket was to become white...This incredibly limited, not to say dimwitted ambition has choked many a human being to death here: and this, I contend, is because the white American has never accepted the real reasons for his journey. I know very well that my ancestors had no desire to come to this place: but neither did the ancestors of the people who became white and who require of my captivity a song. They require of me a song less to celebrate my captivity than to justify their own."

James Baldwin, "The Price of the Ticket," 1985

It seems like every week I get an e-mail from someone demanding to know why there's no White History Month, or White Entertainment Television, or why whites aren't allowed to have organizations to defend "our" interests, the way people of color are, without being thought of as racists. One of these internet missives, which has been making the rounds lately on MySpace and other popular networking sites, implies that whites are somehow oppressed because we can't get away with calling people of color any number of racial slurs (a litany of which the author then proceeds to recite, almost gleefully), while persons of color presumably call us names like "cracker," "honky," or "hillbilly" all the time.

The e-mail goes on to express anger over, among other things, Martin Luther King Jr. day, and Yom HaShoah (Holocaust Remembrance day in Israel), as if these were holidays that discriminated against whites. It then laments that white pride is seen as racist, but for people of color to feel and show pride in their group is seen as normal, natural, and even healthy.

The Reverse Racism Ruse (Or How to Ignore Power, History and Logic)

http://www.timwise.org/2007/05/on-wh...he-uninformed/

TIM WISE- INSTITUTIONAL RACISM IN AMERICAN SOCIETY IS REAL

Tim Wise-institutional racism, labor, prison education

Tim Wise on the "Dominant Historical Narrative"
    http://redroom.com/member/tim-wise/m...ical-narrative

Last edited by natina; 07-13-2015 at 09:12 AM.

Default Re: Everyone here help bree!

The Pathology of Privilege: Racism, White Denial & the Costs of Inequality, the newly released video from the Media Education Foundation. The video is of a speech given by Tim Wise at Mt. Holyoke College, October 1, 2007.

The Pathology of Privilege: Racism, White Denial & the Costs of Inequality

http://www.redroom.com/video/tim-wis...whiteness-clip

more complete video but has relatedlinks/urls and related to more of his speakings/lectures

Tim Wise-institutional racism, labor, prison education

affirmative action /school bias white people have affimative action to

YouTube - white people have affimative action to

“Colorblindness,” “Illuminated Individualism,” Poor Whites, and Mad Men: The Tim Wise Interview, Part 1

http://www.racialicious.com/2010/09/...erview-part-1/

WHITE PRIVILEGE For those who still can’t grasp it

WHITE PRIVILEGE

By Tim Wise

For those who still can’t grasp the concept of white privilege, or who are looking for some easy-to-understand examples of it, perhaps this list will help.

White privilege is when you can get pregnant at seventeen like Bristol Palin and everyone is quick to insist that your life and that of your family is a personal matter, and that no one has a right to judge you or your parents, because “every family has challenges,” even as black and Latino families with similar “challenges” are regularly typified as irresponsible, pathological and arbiters of social decay.

White privilege is when you can call yourself a “fuckin’ redneck,” like Bristol Palin’s boyfriend does, and talk about how if anyone messes with you, you'll “kick their fuckin' ass,” and talk about how you like to “shoot shit” for fun, and still be viewed as a responsible, all-American boy (and a great son-in-law to be) rather than a thug.

White privilege is when you can attend four different colleges in six years like Sarah Palin did (one of which you basically failed out of, then returned to after making up some coursework at a community college), and no one questions your intelligence or commitment to achievement, whereas a person of color who did this would be viewed as unfit for college, and probably someone who only got in in the first place because of affirmative action.

White privilege is when you can claim that being mayor of a town smaller than most medium-sized colleges, and then Governor of a state with about the same number of people as the lower fifth of the island of Manhattan, makes you ready to potentially be president, and people don’t all piss on themselves with laughter, while being a black U.S. Senator, two-term state Senator, and constitutional law scholar, means you’re “untested.”

http://www.timwise.org/tag/bill-oreilly/