Page 378 of 460 FirstFirst ... 278328368373374375376377378379380381382383388428 ... LastLast
Results 3,771 to 3,780 of 4592
    Senior Member Platinum Poster

Default Re: What is The Last Movie You Watched?

Transsiberian (Brad Anderson 200-eight)
    I had not seen or heard of this film before watching it on tv last night. It has the usual plot holes, absurd situations, but does have some well-defined characters, none of whom are likeable, which is unusual. It means that it is hard to root for the anti-heroine (no pun intended), or anyone else for that matter, and is not the kind of film that is going to encourage anyone to take the long train journey from Russia to China or the other way. The issue of mules is an interesting one, as it has been in the news in the last few years but does not seem to figure as a major plot line for films. I am also surprised that an American Christian evangelist would be so partial to any alcohol, not just vodka.

Senior Member 5 Star Poster hardiron4u's Avatar

The Lincoln Lawyer
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Movie The Lincoln Lawyer-200x300.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	869203

Regulator Professional Poster JenniferParisHusband's Avatar

Just saw "Straight Outta Compton."

It was incredible! There are some issues with the film, it doesn't always do the best job of explaining motivations, and some of the issues; and I'd even go so far as to say it really glosses over a lot of negatives about some of the members of NWA. But to be fair, so did "La Vie En Rose" with Edith Piaf, and "Walk The Line" with Johnny Cash. Very solid movie though, 2 hrs+ and it flew by. If I still had my vote with the Academy, it would be one of my top 3 so far this year (the other two being "In The Heart Of The Sea" and "Me, Earl & The Dying Girl"). I'd also put Corey Hawkins on my short list for Best Actor (so far).

Jus wookin puh nub.

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    I know it is not an obligation in this thread, but it would help if people posting titles of the films they have seen could say whether or not they liked it, or some other information.
    There is no point to posting a movie you watched without any comment on it what so ever. It's like those ridiculous facebook photos people post of the food they are eating.
    It's like - "Yeah,....I watch movies ...sometimes...uhm...here's one".

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by fred41 View Post
    There is no point to posting a movie you watched without any comment on it what so ever. It's like those ridiculous facebook photos people post of the food they are eating.
    It's like - "Yeah,....I watch movies ...sometimes...uhm...here's one".
    I wondered about that but often it will be a movie like Ernest Goes to Camp or something I am pretty sure sucks. Still I don't know why a comment about whether the movie is any good wouldn't feel necessary...otherwise you haven't even expressed a complete thought.

I saw Me, Earl, and the Dying Girl. I think the movie does a good job of portraying some of the quirks of adolescence and is also sentimental and touching. It is supposed to have comedic elements, but I thought it was only mildly funny. It didn't do a great job of depicting high school life though I realize it wasn't going for realism. But where it wasn't supposed to be realistic it was supposed to be funny or evoke some sort of nostalgia about those awkward years, the latter of which it often does effectively despite being nothing like my high school experience. Definitely worth seeing.

Senior Member 5 Star Poster hardiron4u's Avatar

War Horse
    A Steven Spielberg film about courage during World War I. Whether you arean animal lover or not I think it is a great story and recommend it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Movie MV5BMjExNzkxOTYyNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODA0MjU4Ng@@__V1_SY317_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	869563

2 out of 3 members liked this post.

The Drop (Michael Roskam, 2014)
    Marv and his cousin Bob run a bar in Brooklyn which stashes pockets of money for the local mobster -hence the id of their bar as 'a drop bar'. Marv at one time had ambitions to be a player but screwed it up and as a result is embittered and reckless, while his cousin who was part of the scheme that went wrong barely talks and is incapable of showing any emotion. Enter the dog. Although I thought I might cringe at the use of the dog as the means whereby Bob rediscovers his feelings, this moral tale of redemption is well-written, brilliantly acted and does not go over the top on emotions, maybe because the director is European. According to the special features on the dvd Brooklyn has changed and there are no more 'drop bars', but what do I know? Recommended as a satisfying couple of hours and James Gandolfini's last film.

Gold Poster

I also enjoyed the Drop although it did develop slowly at times. I was more intrigued by the performance of Tom Hardy than the movie. But when I looked at his filmography there were some recognizable films in there but I don't remember him that well from those movies. I'll be paying a bit more attention from now on.

Last edited by broncofan; 09-22-2015 at 08:17 PM.

Senior Member Silver Poster

I am a big movie buff and I liked THE DROP, and I have to tell you, there aren't that many good movies coming out the last few years.
    I have a hunch the actors like Gwyneth Paltrow and Julia Roberts have no talent, but if you get the right team around them and a big budget that a good director knows enough to keep them in the range where they shine.

World Class Asshole

Quote Originally Posted by buttslinger View Post
    I have a hunch the actors like Gwyneth Paltrow and Julia Roberts have no talent...
    A hunch? Is the evidence so elusive?

1 out of 1 members liked this post.