Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Senior Member Junior Poster

Default Re: US marine murders transwoman

Quote Originally Posted by runningdownthatdream View Post
    Add another zero champ, the exchange rate is usually at about 1USD = PHP45.00. And I can assure you that as late as mid-September (the philstar article is dated August) it was being reported on the larger news networks that the sister was indeed looking for the payout and visas. Of course it's nearly impossible to get at the truth of anything reported in Philippines media but it's more likely than not that the family or someone representing them made those claims. Once you spend time in the Philippines you start to gain a better feeling for what's likely and what isn't.
    I accidentally converted the original 21M pesos Pemberton offered in an effort to plea bargain. This wasn't about paying to drop the matter. 200M pesos would have been for damages after the conviction. I don't see how anyone could get a visa from Pemberton and I don't think the U.S. Government would offer visas for the transgressions of a single Marine on liberty.

Professional Poster runningdownthatdream's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trapt53 View Post
    I accidentally converted the original 21M pesos Pemberton offered in an effort to plea bargain. This wasn't about paying to drop the matter. 200M pesos would have been for damages after the conviction. I don't see how anyone could get a visa from Pemberton and I don't think the U.S. Government would offer visas for the transgressions of a single Marine on liberty.
    I sincerely hope you continue to have as unblemished a view of how the world operates as you currently do: online news reports are facts, people always speak the truth to reporters, governments don't make deals in other countries for their soldiers, etc etc etc......clearly getting a 6-12 year conviction for a wanton and brutal murder proves that justice was served, right?

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by dreamon View Post
    1. He most likely knew before they went home.

2. Even if he didn't, the fact that there were two used condoms in the hotel room implies that they fucked each other.

3. Even if he still didn't know, it doesn't excuse murdering her. In fact, it makes it a hate crime which is even worse.
    All this is more than not likely true. And people are trying to justify and mitigate his actions,here, on the Hungangels board, of all places?

There were two individuals in this scenario and only one of them is alive to give their version of the events. For all we know they had sex and he felt remorse and guilt afterwards.

He got off lightly ,in my book.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.
    Last edited by APD2; 12-04-2015 at 12:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by APD2 View Post
    All this is more than not likely true. And people are trying to justify and mitigate his actions,here, on the Hungangels board, of all places?

There were two individuals in this scenario and only one of them is alive to give their version of the events. For all we know they had sex and he felt remorse and guilt afterwards.

He got off lightly ,in my book.
    I don't see anyone trying to justify or mitigate his actions - attempting to understand why something occurred isn't the same as condoning something. By questioning things that happen and trying to rationalize how and why they happened helps us understand and therefore work on prevention. What's stupid is blindly accepting whatever you read or hear and interpreting in a black and white manner then white-knighting like a buffoon. But of course i doubt you're the sort to do that.

0 out of 1 members liked this post.

Junior Poster

I don't see anyone trying to justify or mitigate his actions - attempting to understand why something occurred isn't the same as condoning something. By questioning things that happen and trying to rationalize how and why they happened helps us understand and therefore work on prevention. What's stupid is blindly accepting whatever you read or hear and interpreting in a black and white manner then white-knighting like a buffoon. But of course i doubt you're the sort to do that.
    Oh, fuck off.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Veteran Poster

Why would you want to understand the way a murderer thinks anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by dreamon View Post
    Why would you want to understand the way a murderer thinks anyway?
    Why wouldn't you?

1 out of 2 members liked this post.

Quote Originally Posted by APD2 View Post
    Oh, fuck off.
    Predictable response. You've got nothing to actually contribute in a meaningful way just roams the internet offering vapid commentary.

I sincerely hope you continue to have as unblemished a view of how the world operates as you currently do: online news reports are facts, people always speak the truth to reporters, governments don't make deals in other countries for their soldiers, etc etc etc......clearly getting a 6-12 year conviction for a wanton and brutal murder proves that justice was served, right?
    You haven't offered any sources to the contrary. Why should I believe some conspiracy without some type of evidence? When you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras. Governments make deals for soldiers, when they commit crimes doing their duties. They usually don't makes deals for soldiers that commit crimes in their free time. Sentences don't always fit the crime; because, you have to be able to prove all the elements of the charges. From the few articles I've read, the court had Pemberton's statement, a witness that put him in the room with Jennifer before her death and the crime scene. No witnesses to the actual altercation. There is rarely justice, when someone is intentionally killed, unless the killer meets their end in a similar manner. I'd be interested in knowing what the "homicide" equivalent is in the US.

Goodluck to any bigoted asshat trying to kick my ass in close quarters without a weapon. I've never had anyone try that on me, and probably in everyone else' best interest. Then again, this is Canada, and we didn't have a single murder on the list of 2015 transgender murders.