Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Upcoming Transgender Film: "Tangerine"

Watched it a couple of weeks ago. Aside from getting insight on the life of a Trans street worker, the movie had no story really. It just started, meandered along and ended. No goal set out for the main characters, no growth and no resolution. From a movie structural standpoint it failed miserably. Shot on an Iphone? How cute. Apple will be happy. I'd give it a one out of five stars simply for showing me the street life they deal with.

Senior Member Junior Poster

I disagree, there is a lot in that movie. What about the taxi driver and his wife and his in laws and the mutual dependency they have despite him being interested in TG girls. What about Alexandra trying to become a song artist, what about the Asian girl trying to run a doughnut franchise with hardly any customers, being occupied by Chester who is using it as his pimp HQ without actually consuming much besides a single doughnut.
    This movie is a reflexion of real life depicting the story of many different people trying to survive.

Professional Poster runningdownthatdream's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kojak View Post
    I disagree, there is a lot in that movie. What about the taxi driver and his wife and his in laws and the mutual dependency they have despite him being interested in TG girls. What about Alexandra trying to become a song artist, what about the Asian girl trying to run a doughnut franchise with hardly any customers, being occupied by Chester who is using it as his pimp HQ without actually consuming much besides a single doughnut.
    This movie is a reflexion of real life depicting the story of many different people trying to survive.
    Agreed - I saw this movie as a day in the life of people living on the fringes of the greater society. To empathize, I think it helps if you've known such a life with such characters. Their struggles transcend gender or race and I found that I could relate to most of the characters in one way or another as I've been in many of these situations even if some only played out in my own head. A very interesting movie.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Kojak View Post
    Um, sure, okay. So you've got basic issues that never get resolved. You have characters that have issues but nothing changes from when the movie began to when the movie ended. Yes, there's conflict but that conflict doesn't make a character become stronger. They all just 'deal with life.' That's not good script writing. As far as the donut shop girl goes, the shop is merely a place to do a scene. Beyond that, she's not relevant and as far as her being a main component to the story, she's not. So to say she's dealing with running a struggling business is highly overstated.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.