Page 25 of 81 FirstFirst ... 1520212223242526272829303575 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Platinum Poster

Default Re: US Elections 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Laphroaig View Post
    What were the poll numbers before the 2016 election?
    Sadly I don't think a Trump loss is a done deal yet by any means. Plus, if it's a close vote he'll claim corruption and probably have to be removed from the White House bunker, kicking and screaming "unfair", by the National Guard.
    Fair point, but if Covid 19 is still a factor the practical matter of holding an election may be used to delay it -but for how long?

Meanwhile today's Independent is pushing Val Demmings, though this week Kamala Harris's odds rose and she has edged Val Demmings, with Susan Rice surging on the inside...below are some latest odds, and a speech from Demmings when she was Orlando Police chief.

https://www.oddschecker.com/politics...tic-vp-nominee

https://bookies.com/news/joe-biden-vp-pick-odds

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Laphroaig View Post
    What were the poll numbers before the 2016 election?
    I don't know what they were this far out but I created a thread on 9/26/2016 saying that according to 538 and other poll aggregators he was estimated to have close to a 50% chance of winning. What would it be like if he were President. It would be interesting to look at the first couple of responses because some still didn't think it was much of a possibility despite the polls. He is very far behind and some states that are usually not even in contention are going towards Biden. I'd feel a lot better if these were the numbers in September or October.

http://www.hungangels.com/vboard/sho...idency-Day-One

3 out of 3 members liked this post.

Senior Member Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    Fair point, but if Covid 19 is still a factor the practical matter of holding an election may be used to delay it -but for how long?

Meanwhile today's Independent is pushing Val Demmings, though this week Kamala Harris's odds rose and she has edged Val Demmings, with Susan Rice surging on the inside...below are some latest odds, and a speech from Demmings when she was Orlando Police chief.

https://www.oddschecker.com/politics...tic-vp-nominee

https://bookies.com/news/joe-biden-vp-pick-odds

He can't pick Demmings because according to one of leaders of the BLM movement, once a black person becomes a cop they're no longer black, they're blue.

I really think Biden painted himself into a corner when he said that he would pick a woman as his running mate at one of the debates. The clamoring for it to be a black woman has only made his choice a bit more difficult.

The most important factor in picking a VP nominee is that they're ready to take over if something were to happen to the President. Now when you go by that criteria, Susan Rice would be the perfect choice, followed by Harris.

But here is where its get trickier for Biden. There are progressives who don't want anybody with a background in law enforcement and I get the sneaking suspicion, anyone with background like Susan's Rice would also fall under that category.

So now the question becomes if he picks the wrong black woman, are progressives and especially the BLM organization going to lose their shit and stay at home on Election Day. They're not excited about Biden in the first place, the wrong VP pick may make them even less enthusiastic.

Or what if he goes with Tammy Duckworth? I mean as long as its a woman of color, everything should be okay, right.

Now if he goes with Stacy Abrams or Karen Bass, does he give some moderates/independents reason to think twice about voting for him because of their lack of experience. Even if you think Obama was going to win regardless in 2008, there had to be some people who had misgivings about McCain because he chose Sarah Palin.

Finally, if you're a progressive white woman, are really cool with the fact that the only reason why Amy Klobuchar is not the nominee is because of the color of her skin?

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Thank you for the insights, Blackubby38, it is hard at this distance to appreciate those nuances that Americans can see clearly. But really, all the top three candidates look capable, and yes, with a career in public service will bring their baggage too, so why can't people just accept that? There are no angels in politics, so why go looking for them?

I don't think it is as bad as 1968 or 1972, when the perception of the Democrats was of a party in chaos, hostage to every interest group going. And with this incumbent President incapable or unwilling to tell anyone what his second term is for, other than to make more money, the Democrats can and should at least offer a vision for the decade ahead, even if it means reviving Hope and Change -perhaps the VP can articulate the direction in which the US is going to go? It is a great opportunity to put clear blue water between the candidates, one hopes they don't muddy the waters instead. One newspaper here predicts a very, very dirty campaign by the Republicans.

Tammy Duckworth? I did not know much about her but read Frank Bruni's portrait in the New York Times -he thinks she is the kind of candidate immune from the President's vicious attacks, forgetting that John McCain was also a disabled war veteran, and is still the target of the little man. Curiously or not, this link from Fox News can't seem to find much with which to demonize her- but I don't know much else about her.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tam...c-vp-contender

Member Rookie Poster

If the poll numbers get worse, he will resign, as he never loses. Then he can write a book about himself as the Greatest Undefeated President in the History of the World.
    You're dreaming, Stavros. He'll never resign. Even if he's defeated at the polls.

And here is how he can stay in office no matter that he loses the vote again-

https://www.newsweek.com/how-trump-c...pinion-1513975

Senior Member Gold Poster KnightHawk 2.0's Avatar

And here is how he can stay in office no matter that he loses the vote again-

https://www.newsweek.com/how-trump-c...pinion-1513975
    That is very scary scenario, and is one that the Clueless Buffoon In Chief will definitely try and use to stay in power if he loses the November Election. and the enablers in congress and the senate will be enabling and let him get away with it. and US Citizens should be very concern if that happens.

Last edited by KnightHawk 2.0; 07-05-2020 at 12:30 AM.

I read in this morning's papers Kanye West may run for the Presidency. Help me out here - who is he? I have no interest in rap, and even less in his wife. Is this serious, or just a media event?

Senior Member Gold Poster KnightHawk 2.0's Avatar

I read in this morning's papers Kanye West may run for the Presidency. Help me out here - who is he? I have no interest in rap, and even less in his wife. Is this serious, or just a media event?
    Kayne West is a hip hop artist and a Trump Supporter,Fanboy and Sellout,No i don't he is serious about running for president. He just doing this take votes away from Joe Biden.