Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Senior Member Platinum Poster

Default Re: The Rock, The Jaw,- Welcome to the (Uncensored) Punch

I was not going to comment further on this topic, but I think the link below is required reading in order to establish what a nasty little shit Chris Rock is, given that he has been cast as the victim in the incident, when he was not the only one.

The incident not reported so well, concerns the documentary Oscar won by Summer of Soul, an example of a Black topic being diminished and also abused by Rock, thus one of its producers, Joseph Patel-

"Patel writes that he recalled walking on stage to accept the award and Smith hugging Questlove, who “handled the moment with grace, giving a speech from the heart.”
    He added: “What I didn’t hear in that moment walking to stage but was told of afterwards is what Chris Rock said when reading our name from the winner’s card – The winner is ‘Summer of Soul …Ahmir ‘Questlove’ Thompson and 4 white guys.” WHAT IN THE ACTUAL FUCK?????
    “The reason that makes me SO SO VERY ANGRY is because I was so proud to be one of a handful of South Asians to have ever won an Oscar in the history of the award.”
    In fact, Patel was the third south Asian man to pick up an award that night, after Riz Ahmed and Aneil Karia.
    “So with my family and friends watching, Chris Rock lumped me in as 1 of ‘4 white guys. (Nevermind the disrespect to @d2films and @fyvo for not even saying their names, and the inaccuracy of us being 3 producers not 4),” Patel continued.

Patel declined to put Rock’s joke down to discombobulation after the slap, as “he made the same joke the night before on stage at the Roots Jam!”
    “So I’m angry,” he wrote. “Angry at Will Smith. Angry at Chris Rock. Angry for me. Angry for Ahmir. Angry for my fellow film-makers.
    “I got back home to New York last night and saw the ceremony on my DVR and didn’t have the stomach to watch it. I probably never will. Thank you, Chris – You absolute fucking dick.” "
    ‘It robbed us’: Summer of Soul producer criticises Will Smith and Chris Rock | Oscars 2022 | The Guardian

Senior Member Silver Poster MrFanti's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    I was not going to comment further on this topic, but I think the link below is required reading in order to establish what a nasty little shit Chris Rock is, given that he has been cast as the victim in the incident, when he was not the only one.
    So are you saying that the Black Americans who feel Smith was in the wrong all have the wrong perspective?
    Are you saying both Smith and Rock are victims?
    Or something else? (Just trying to cover all the bases)

What I "like" about the situation is that not all of us in Black America agrees - and that's very healthy towards showing the masses that we DO NOT all think alike and we are all NOT monolithic in thought. (Though some in the media believe we are monolithic in thought).

Last edited by MrFanti; 04-01-2022 at 10:38 PM.
    "I am, a SIGMA Male...

Senior Member Gold Poster Murmdrum's Avatar

The incident not reported so well, concerns the documentary Oscar won by Summer of Soul, an example of a Black topic being diminished and also abused by Rock, thus one of its producers, Joseph Patel-

"Patel writes that he recalled walking on stage to accept the award and Smith hugging Questlove, who “handled the moment with grace, giving a speech from the heart.”
    He added: “What I didn’t hear in that moment walking to stage but was told of afterwards is what Chris Rock said when reading our name from the winner’s card – The winner is ‘Summer of Soul …Ahmir ‘Questlove’ Thompson and 4 white guys.” WHAT IN THE ACTUAL FUCK?????
    “The reason that makes me SO SO VERY ANGRY is because I was so proud to be one of a handful of South Asians to have ever won an Oscar in the history of the award.”
    In fact, Patel was the third south Asian man to pick up an award that night, after Riz Ahmed and Aneil Karia.
    “So with my family and friends watching, Chris Rock lumped me in as 1 of ‘4 white guys. (Nevermind the disrespect to @d2films and @fyvo for not even saying their names, and the inaccuracy of us being 3 producers not 4),” Patel continued.

Patel declined to put Rock’s joke down to discombobulation after the slap, as “he made the same joke the night before on stage at the Roots Jam!”
    “So I’m angry,” he wrote. “Angry at Will Smith. Angry at Chris Rock. Angry for me. Angry for Ahmir. Angry for my fellow film-makers.
    “I got back home to New York last night and saw the ceremony on my DVR and didn’t have the stomach to watch it. I probably never will. Thank you, Chris – You absolute fucking dick.” "
    ‘It robbed us’: Summer of Soul producer criticises Will Smith and Chris Rock | Oscars 2022 | The Guardian

you need to find a funny bone man lol. no disrespect but you don't seem to be fun at parties

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

Senior Member Junior Poster

Team Chris Rock

Grace under pressure what a champ!

Will Smith’s obituary will read Academy Award winner who slapped Chris Rock on live television. This follows him around the rest of his career.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

filghy2 Silver Poster

This seems like much ado about nothing to me. It's like a Rorschach test where the responses reveal mostly the preoccupations of those responding.

One guy made a joke with might not have been in good taste, but was not particularly vicious. Another guy overreacted with a low-grade assault. The victim wasn't hurt and doesn't want to press charges. If this was two ordinary people nobody else would care and the police would not get involved.

I certainly can't see anything about this incident that warrants invoking "Black America". Would the rights and wrongs be any different if the participants were white?

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Murmdrum View Post
    you need to find a funny bone man lol. no disrespect but you don't seem to be fun at parties
    It all depends on what humour is. I tend to react negatively to a comedy of abuse, whereas I do laugh at the comedy of observation, one which requires a perception of how people behave and is one of the most durable successes in comedy. Laurel and Hardy are a good example of this, as is the English comedian, the late Victoria Wood. I accept there is a tradition of poking fun at people, be they in authority or the public eye, but I don't find it amusing when one person insults another because of their personal appearance, perhaps because I have suffered from it myself, as I am sure many others have too. There is a tradition of zany humour in the UK, most famously the Goons, and Monty Python, and it is at least creative, as is the comedy based on language in I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue.

I am not fun at parties, so I don't go to them. I think in my entire life I have been to at least four, and I don't recall enjoying any of them.

As to the events in the OP, I think the comment has run its course. And I have found it interesting to read people's comments, whether I agree with them or not.

Senior Member Veteran Poster diddyboponTOP's Avatar

Will resigned from the Academy and said he's going to face what ever music comes along when they give Him his punishment what ever it may be, experts and long time board members said Will will likely not lose His Oscar, and why should He? Over a slap? I can see banning him for a few years from the show etc but like they said Weinstein was allowed to keep his award and he's a serial rapist and abuser, same with Polanski, what Will did was very immature and stupid But he's been famous since he was 17 and now he's 52 and this is the first time he has done anything remotely close to this. I'm sure His career is will be fine, He didn't hurt Chris just slapped him and mostly missed cause Chris rolled with it.

In my view (which is an opinion and not necessarily the "right/correct" view), Smith will rebound and be just fine. Perhaps another 'Oprah Interview' will happen at some point.....but in the long run he'll be just fine.

However....

He'll always have that "asterisk/Scarlett letter" by his name.....

"I am, a SIGMA Male...

Senior Member Gold Poster Murmdrum's Avatar

It all depends on what humour is. I tend to react negatively to a comedy of abuse, whereas I do laugh at the comedy of observation, one which requires a perception of how people behave and is one of the most durable successes in comedy. Laurel and Hardy are a good example of this, as is the English comedian, the late Victoria Wood. I accept there is a tradition of poking fun at people, be they in authority or the public eye, but I don't find it amusing when one person insults another because of their personal appearance, perhaps because I have suffered from it myself, as I am sure many others have too. There is a tradition of zany humour in the UK, most famously the Goons, and Monty Python, and it is at least creative, as is the comedy based on language in I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue.

I am not fun at parties, so I don't go to them. I think in my entire life I have been to at least four, and I don't recall enjoying any of them.

As to the events in the OP, I think the comment has run its course. And I have found it interesting to read people's comments, whether I agree with them or not.
    My favorite British comedy growing up was Benny Hill....that show turned me into a man at a young age haha

Will Smith blocked from Academy events for 10 years, Board of Governors decides after slap
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/osc...lap/ar-AAW19pm

"I am, a SIGMA Male...