View Poll Results: Best rapper since 2Pac and Biggie?

Voters
170. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nas

39 22.94%
  • The Game

4 2.35%
  • Mos Def

4 2.35%
  • Eminem

37 21.76%
  • 50 Cent

4 2.35%
  • Kanye West

11 6.47%
  • Jay Z

29 17.06%
  • Snoop Dogg

10 5.88%
  • Other (state who so we can all point and laugh)

32 18.82%
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51011121314151617 LastLast
    Junior Poster

Sticking with my remarks about white guys and their fetishizing of "lyrics"

I should know I'm white as snow

and have been making the music scene for a long time.

The following is not rap, but makes my point very well:

This is an amazing song, mixed by the king of dj's

as far as I'm concerned the song posted has *exquisite* lyrics, but too "obvious," I'm afraid, to satisfy many an indie-rap "lyrics" snob

the world has room for all kinds of music but the beat is supreme

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by attracted2ts
    Okay this post is from a black guy...Lyrical content is 80% of the pie for me and the other is beat..I hate hearing a tight lyric over some whack beat...To say lyrics are not the top basis for a hip-hop great..If thats the case you believe rappers like Lil'Wayne, Bow Wow, or Mike Jones are part of the greatest..Most of them is hype..U can cook a turd put it in a nice package & true enough if the marketing behind it the shit will sell....Me myself prefer & come from a era where as Lupe so eloquently put it Dumb It Down...Talib Kweli is so under promoted but turds as Bow Wow are well promoted......Hell and if u a keep it real type of guy check out Trae (he beat Mike Jones ass) Z-ro, Tech N9ne, UGK (rip Pimp C) or Devin the dude.....

Or, in another way of putting it, it doesn't exactly take a genius to rhyme "Mike Jones" with "Mike Jones."

--
    you will learn to fear my collection of tiny hats.

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by transmaven
    as far as I'm concerned the song posted has *exquisite* lyrics, but too "obvious," I'm afraid, to satisfy many an indie-rap "lyrics" snob

So, wait, you're stating an opinion about your own opinion that white guys are lyrics snobs? Has anybody in this discussion stated that they feel the lyrics in that song are too "obvious," as you put it? Who ever said that good lyrics can't be "obvious," or simple, or devoid of intricately crafted metaphor?

the world has room for all kinds of music but the beat is supreme

No, it's not, unless you're listening to wholly instrumental music. Lyrical music should have good music and good lyrics. Recorded lyrical music is a trichotomy; it should have good music and lyrics, and be well-produced.

--

Veteran Poster

This post is on only famous people. I have met numerous people 10 times better than that list.These people actually write their own lyrics compared to the list. Who got rich and lazy.

Veteran Poster

This post is on only famous people. I have met numerous people 10 times better than that list.These people actually write their own lyrics compared to the list. Who got rich and lazy.

Junior Poster

So, wait, you're stating an opinion about your own opinion that white guys are lyrics snobs? Has anybody in this discussion stated that they feel the lyrics in that song are too "obvious," as you put it? Who ever said that good lyrics can't be "obvious," or simple, or devoid of intricately crafted metaphor?
    Not all white guys. Many white guys. Many a rhythm-challenged, intelligent, flow-deficient indie-rap loving hipster has come to grief b/c they overvalue certain varieties of complexity in the lyrics that accompany music.

What I'm saying is that lots of people have bad taste in music. And literature, art, etc. Evidence of good taste is precious precisely because it's *rare.*

There's nothing to "argue" here, nothing to "justify." These are my views and I'm content that others have their own. That won't stop me from making a comment about it when I feel like doing so.

The best and most useful thing would be to simply click on the many songs I've posted here. Then tell me if you think I have taste.

Edit to add how I really feel:

Junior Poster

Not all white guys. Many white guys. Many a rhythm-challenged, intelligent, flow-deficient indie-rap loving hipster has come to grief b/c they overvalue certain varieties of complexity in the lyrics that accompany music.

Well, hipsters suck in the first place. I think my bone of contention (insert punchline here) initially came from the fact that you didn't say "hipsters" or like that, you just said "white guys." The generalisation was too broad.

There's nothing to "argue" here, nothing to "justify." These are my views and I'm content that others have their own. That won't stop me from making a comment about it when I feel like doing so.

Nothing should stop anybody from stating their opinions on anything at any time (outside of one's own common sense). Of course, it is equally my right to rebut your opinion.

Incidentally, I do like both Dre and Cube.

--

Rookie Poster

Quote Originally Posted by celticgrafix
    Quote Originally Posted by Reyna
    Quote Originally Posted by worthy2
    Quote Originally Posted by Reyna
    lil wanye, laugh about that
    Laugh all you want but no one has been able to sale records the way Lil Wayne has, since before file sharing. There has to be some kind of recognition for those rapper that can actually sell rap records. Besides if you ever really listen to his lyric you can hear that he does has some depth.

"If we too simple, then y'all don't get the basics."
    get thje fuk ouuta here lil wayne's muisc sucks ass. sales has no signicance sorry to break the bad news to you. with all the payolla to radio and video stations any jackass can get popular. in case sorry ass lil wayne
    oh its cool i c, u like all the shitty rap, like nelly and ja rule, since i know u like them i understand how u can be hating on the best

To be honest I am not a Lil wayne fan. However I believe that you should give credit were credit is due. The job of a hip-hop MC has always be to move crowds( including record sale), biggie and Tupac were able to to that. No one one the list is doing the way Lil Wayne has been able to do it. The reason why I give him props is simple. His verse on Wyclef's "Sweetest girl" bill was the sickest thing I heard in a minute even when it was sung by a white girl.

thats what im tryin to say, over a million albums in a week, come on now, hard to challenge that
    Ok look it a well known fact that Universal Records bought copies of the Carter 3 to increase the first week sales..Proof is by how quick of a drop in sales the second week..The music industrey is about money period..Lil Wayne has been overlyrated for awhile..Every rapper has a hot streak but the hip-hop world does have a shprt life span...He's hot now but thats not a guarenteed..I give it to him he is riding high right now..But hell look at Ja Rule he was hella hot for awhile now he's being outsold by jokers like Yung Berg...Gillie Da Kid is lyrically better then Wayne...Jay-Z, Nas, Tech N9ne, Black Thought, Andre 3000, Chamillionaire, Talib, Bun B, Z-Ro, Fiend, Eminem, Camp Lo, Rakim, Raekwon, Ghostface...hell even 50 Cent are better then Lil Wayne..Wayne is hot for the moment but he is a studio gangsta and like 50 Cent said he is a bit of a whore..People tried to call Nelly commercial but Wayne is past that......

Female or Shemale its whatever in my eyes you're all female

LOL at LIl Weezy.

Quote Originally Posted by tjinla2001
    I haven't just let a single prostitute cum in my mouth. Hundreds- more likely thousands of transvesites have shot their loads in my mouth. God bless america
    I AM A GUY NOT A TRANSSEXUAL!

Silver Poster

Nasir Jones hands down!

Lifemember