Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Rookie Poster

yeah, stephen has his up and down shows...
    but, he totally blows away the daily show in my mind.

his kind of humor kinda has to sink in, i didn't find it really funny at first.
    i like john, but i think stephen is the best.
    i think you either go one way or the other with them, but it's possible to like both.
    stephen's humor is really original and like someone said he is holding the show all on his own, and he has to hold his "character" as his true self.
    if you've seen his appearace on conan where he says rosa park's children should apologize to the bus company she ruined, and conan shoots him, i don't know how you cannot like him.
    so dead pan with his humor, and it's awesome to see him crack up.

hah, strangers with candy is awesome.

oh and...i think that john is a producer or writer for the report...???
    not sure, i think i saw that...
    john will do great at the oscars.

Rookie Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Felicia Katt
    The Daily Show and the Colbert Report are the best hour on tv these days. I love Jon Stewart, but Steven Colbert carries the entire show by himself, and he has managed to ruthlessly skewer O'Reilly, Hannity, Rush and all, so expertly they don't even resent him. For him to mine their hatefilled agendas for humor is like making cookies out of crap and is a real comedic accomplishment

FK
    It is done well. I think alot of people don't understand the satire, as they may not have ever watched an O'Reilly show (or watched it with a critical eye).

Do you remember the clip floating around the web where he kept claiming to have "seen combat", and the caller busted him on never having been in any branch of any service? These guys have been terrorizing guests for so long that it's finally time they got skewered appropriately...

http://www.newshounds.us/2005/05/06/...al_puckett.php

Junior Poster

Colbert is the funniest man on TV right now. The man is a genius and has really got that character down.

I just watched Stephen Colbert on C-Span, at the White House Press Correpondent's dinner (I know, what an exciting way to spend your Saturday night, but I was out all nite last nite) Stephen was fearless, and in my opinion, was incredibly pointed and funny.

here are some exceprts

I give people the truth unfiltered by factual argument. I call it the No Fact Zone. Fox News, I hold a copyright on that term.

Then you write they're just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. First of all, that is a terrible metaphor. This administration is not sinking. This administration is soaring. If anything, they are rearranging the deck chairs on the Hindenburg

The government that governs best is the government that governs least, and by these standards we have set up a fabulous government in Iraq.

reality has a well known liberal bias

I stand by this man because he stands for things. Not only for things, he stands on things, like aircraft carriers, rubble and recently flooded city squares. And that sends a strong mesasge that no matter what happens to America she will always rebound with the most powerfully staged photo ops in the world!

The greatest thing about this President is you know where he stands. He believes the same thing Wednesday that he believed on Monday, no matter what happened Tuesday!

Fox News gives you both sides of every story, the President's side and the Vice President's side.

Write that novel you've got kicking around in your head--you know, the one about the intrepid Washington reporter with the courage to stand up to the Administration--you know, fiction!

[Jesse Jackson] is a very challenging interview... It's like boxing a glacier. Enjoy that metaphor by the way because your grandchildren will have no idea what a glacier is.

Mayor Nagin is here from New Orleans, the Chocolate City... Mayor Nagin, I'd like to welcome you to Washington D.C., the Chocolate City with a marshmallow center... and a graham cracker crust of corruption.

Priceless ballsy stuff

FK

Rookie Poster

i saw some clips on Crooks and Liars:

http://movies.crooksandliars.com/WH-Dinner-Colber.mov

...thats only half of it, I'd like to download the entire thing when i find it

Colbert really had the perfect situation to tear the Pres apart and didn't hold back--- awesome

Platinum Poster

CSPAN usually rebroadcasts it at some point, but I don't see it on today's schedule.
    Here's an article about it-

Colbert Lampoons Bush at White House Correspondents Dinner-- President Does Not Seem Amused

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/ea..._id=1002425363

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Poe

here is a link to a partial video and some good sites discussing Colbert's performance

http://www.crooksandliars.com/2006/04/29.html#a8104

The blogosphere is really buzzing about it. Whether you think he is funny or not (I personally think he is one of the smartest, funniest guys on tv today) it took huge balls for him to so effectively trash the President with him just a few feet away.

FK

Rookie Poster

I quote Stephen Colbert so much that one of my friends thinks I'm in love with him.
    haha.

Hilarious
    Hilarious
    Hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by partlycloudy
    props

New Orleans, no place like home.