PDA

View Full Version : Ladies and Gents, im needing some (car) advice

jamesb121
08-14-2008, 02:39 AM
When i get my licence back im in a little quandry, which one do i buy?

The Mercedes C63 or the BMW M3?

i know what johnny will say........

Nowhere
08-14-2008, 02:58 AM
Um, get the C63 AMG, no questions asked:

It has a 6.2 32V V8 457 PS (451 hp/336 kW) with NO SUPERCHARGER, which means if you later want to add a supercharger to it, it can approach 600+ hp).

But, even if you don't want to be that crazy about it, realize the M3 only has a 4.0L 414 hp V8.

Legend
08-14-2008, 02:59 AM
Trying to figure out which car your gonna use as a potential lethal weapon in that case i choose none of the above.

francisfkudrow
08-14-2008, 04:36 AM
Personally, I'd buy something less expensive and more practical, but if these are our only two choices, I think the BMW is nicer looking.

GroobySteven
08-14-2008, 04:38 AM
I don't know about the engines but the Beamer looks awesome. The Mercs have just gotten to be a little too generic looking.

jamesb121
08-14-2008, 06:00 AM
Im going to go the merc way just now, the waiting list on the c63 is 8 months so it'll be ready just when i get my licence back.

I'll run it for 6 months and get most of my cash back, just been looking at the m3's for sale online, christ the've taken a huge drop in value since they came out.

Plus the m3 is no longer a Q-car, the Merc is a bit more discreet, which is a plus as plod will be after me when i get my ticket back!

jamesb121
08-14-2008, 06:01 AM
And just for the record: The bus sucks!

redtiger
08-14-2008, 06:04 AM
Wish I had enough money to have the same dilemma. :banghead

jamesb121
08-14-2008, 06:14 AM
Will,

This is how i do it: Im in the motor trade, you order a car you know is going to be a huge seller (as early as possible to get to the head of the queue) pay a deposit £1000 ($2000) then whore yourself for the rest of the money for the car (or just borrow it from the bank like i do.....) before you get the car sell it, but tell the customer that the car has to be kept for 6 months for use as a demonstrator by whoever the supplying dealer is. You then hoon about in your dream car for 6 months knowing that you've got it sold ideally for more than you've paid for it.

I've done this a few times now, Aston V8 Vantage was a good one, BMW M5 was good, did'nt make as much on that as i hoped, and Audi R8, ive had 2 of them since they came out and lifted £10000 ($20000) a car.

Obviously im self employed so ive got to pay tax on it, but who's to say you couldnt do it and make a few quid?

When a new hot car comes out, theres always someone wanting to skip the queue to get one, might as well exploit it!

dan_drade
08-14-2008, 09:14 AM
If you have the 5 grand it will take each year to keep one of those cars on the road, I would go with the C63.

mrbig
08-14-2008, 12:12 PM
I would go for the c63....but why would one care what others like or don't like...just make 'ur own choice :roll:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mercedes Benz C63 AMG vs. BMW M3:
http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=CCg5iMKAc0Y

jamesb121
08-14-2008, 01:58 PM
the reason i asked was to see what the popular opinion was (ie what car would sell easiest)

Ive been seduced by the C63, guy took me out in it today, cant wait to be able to drive again!!

I have gone for: Tenorite grey, Black leather, Drivers pack and Performance pack.

Got a belter of a deal, £47000 ($98000) now ive just got to wait 9 months......

glenntinnyc
08-14-2008, 02:01 PM
if you want overall performance, handling driving experience its the M3 if you wnat some luxury thrown in its the Merc

bothways
08-14-2008, 06:03 PM
"When i get my licence back "
Neither car will make it easy to keep that licence!

Have to agree w/ glen, BMW makes a better driver's car. That AMG 6.2L sounds like a sweet engine (haven't tried one yet), but BMW knows how to make a car feel connected to the road.
Also M-B quality has sucked since the 90's.
(BMW's can be expensive to run too, but IMO they're better made.)
Still since you're buying new and not planning on keeping it long, your choice is mostly determined by which has a better resale (and which you like better).
Interesting to me that you have been able to make money reselling these cars. I wondered with new "supercars" being introduced so often if today's hot car isn't worth so much 6mo - 1yr later.
I remember dealers getting burnt in the early 90's when the economy dropped - having to let Porsche turbos and Corvette ZR-1s go for a loss.
These days I think I'd rather have a deposit on a new Prius than a V8 performance car (from a financial viewpoint).
Nice you're getting it in grey (don't like how they look in white).
Enjoy!

jamesb121
08-14-2008, 07:44 PM
You can make good money, but only if you buy the right thing at the right time.

Wino the SuperHero
08-16-2008, 07:46 AM
C63
it looks way better.

Solitary Brother
08-16-2008, 08:01 AM
BMW is kind of a rip off.
They are very expensive to maintain and are just a status symbol Im sorry to say.
I was going to get one last year but I dont have the kind of money to maintain the car.
I work with a guy that is an automotive nutcase.
He agrees with me.
If money is no object then yeah BMW is a good value but if you work for a living like I do then no.
Like I said I spent a considerable amount of time researching BMW's.
Why do you think there are tons of used BMW's for sale?
Think about it.

Paladin
08-16-2008, 11:38 PM
Neither: A Cadillac CTS or STS (preferred) is my choice. But that's only because they don't make Fleetwoods anymore :D

BTW How did you lose your licence inthe first place ???

Paladin
08-16-2008, 11:43 PM
I'm still LOL (and snickering to myself) on this whole thread. You have money to afford a $98,000 car, but you have to wait 9 months and your licence is suspended for 8 more months anyway?!?!? You couldn't afford to hire a good enough barrister to preserve your licence ??? This whole thread does not add up (i.e. it fails to pass the BS detector test).

jamesb121
08-17-2008, 12:04 AM
^^Asshole^^

i was bang to rights on DR10, thats english for a drink driving charge, Smashed up my LR disco pretty badly, got a 12 month ban and a £1000 fine, Ive completed my rehabilitation course that gives me a quarter off my ban, so ill have my licence back in 8 months and will be allowed to drive again in 9.

Btw, in the UK drink driving is considered a very big thing here, minimum ban length is 12 months regardless of who good your lawyer is, im fucking delighted because i should of got a 2 year ban as i was a mile over the limit.

Im not proud of what i did, but life cant be changed. It is fucking ruining my life not being able to drive, but hopefully i can make some money out of bad situation.

Rant over

Paladin
08-29-2008, 08:36 PM
^^Asshole^^

i was bang to rights on DR10, thats english for a drink driving charge, Smashed up my LR disco pretty badly, got a 12 month ban and a £1000 fine, Ive completed my rehabilitation course that gives me a quarter off my ban, so ill have my licence back in 8 months and will be allowed to drive again in 9.

Btw, in the UK drink driving is considered a very big thing here, minimum ban length is 12 months regardless of who good your lawyer is, im fucking delighted because i should of got a 2 year ban as i was a mile over the limit.

Im not proud of what i did, but life cant be changed. It is fucking ruining my life not being able to drive, but hopefully i can make some money out of bad situation.

Rant over

And you're calline ME an asshole :roll: Go look in the mirror, and STAY OUT OF THE US