PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood Remakes

Legend
08-30-2009, 06:58 AM
Oldboy and Lady Vengeance are getting remade by hollywood for some odd reason, i really don't see the point of remaking films that are already good.The only thing hollywood is doing is revealing it's lack of originality and creativity which is sad and pathetic.They really need to stop stealing films and come up with their own shit.Oh and guess whose name is in the running of doing the oldboy remake, no other then will smith the same guy who is going to ruin karate kid, no way in hell they are going to have the same ending in oldboy with will smith.

I know you've probably heard of a film called "let the right one in" it's getting a hollywood remake and the title will be "let me in" i was in shock that they would even attempt to remake this movie.I just don't see the need to remake films that are already good,why not take an old movie that was bad and flopped and remake that,it would be a challenge.

2009AD
08-30-2009, 07:40 AM
Oldboy and Lady Vengeance.

:?: Never heard of these movies.

Legend
08-30-2009, 07:41 AM
Oldboy and Lady Vengeance.

Really,they are two of the best films ever made.

bte
08-30-2009, 08:16 AM
Oldboy was a sweet movie. I got it on DVD, it sucks that they are going to remake it. I guess Hollywood can't come up with any new ideas. Why ruin a perfectly good movie like Oldboy, I never understand.

Teydyn
08-30-2009, 08:52 AM
Really,they are two of the best films ever made.
With that much information everything is clear :)

Hollywood does the same to asian movies as it does to european ones: Butcher them.

santiago316
08-30-2009, 09:09 AM
:banghead Ugh! Why the hell do they have to ruin a great movie like Oldboy(I haven't seen Lady Vengeance yet) with a remake, especially since the original came out only 6 years ago. And to make matters worse Will Smith is going to be apart of it?! It just gets worse and worse. But of course Hollywood doesn't care, as long as the people are stupid enough to fork out the dough to see these crappy remakes, Hollywood will keep making them. Man I'm depressed right now.

dgs925
08-30-2009, 04:40 PM
:banghead Ugh! Why the hell do they have to ruin a great movie like Oldboy(I haven't seen Lady Vengeance yet) with a remake, especially since the original came out only 6 years ago. And to make matters worse Will Smith is going to be apart of it?! It just gets worse and worse. But of course Hollywood doesn't care, as long as the people are stupid enough to fork out the dough to see these crappy remakes, Hollywood will keep making them. Man I'm depressed right now.How do they "ruin" a movie by making another movie? You don't have to see the new movie, you know that right?

Coroner
08-30-2009, 04:54 PM
And yet, people still watch all those remakes in masses which is the reason why they produce them. The cinema is dead. Get over it.

freak
08-30-2009, 05:13 PM
Hollywood has always remade movies, just look at King Kong, how many times was that redone about 10 times. Some are better some are worse, and some just share the basic plot.

If you also notice Hollywood redoes some foreign movies and gives little or no credit to the original. Shutter was a Thai movie and remade into a US movie as was Bangkok Dangerous.

But some of the remakes are much better because of the techknowledgey so who cares if they remake it, it is still your choice to see it or not.

Also the Cinema is no where close to dead, look at the numbers.

freak
08-30-2009, 05:17 PM
Also Inglorious Basterds was a remake nothing like the original, they shared the name and the time frame of the movie, that is about it.
The taking of Pelham 1 2 3 was almost like the original but it was a better movie.
So go to the movie or stay home and watch TV or surf the net.

Also so many people are saying how can they ruin a movie before it is even produced, that is going in with a very closed mind. You are saying it sucks before it is even made.

pantybulge69
08-30-2009, 05:33 PM
Other future remake movies:

Arthur
They Live
The Crazies
Romancing The Stone
The Incredible Shrinking Man
The Illustrated Man
Night of the Demons
When Worlds Collide

Fantastic Voyage
Back To School
Meatballs
Risky Business
Metropolis
The Dirty Dozen
Conan
Clash Of The Titans
The Karate Kid

Death Wish
Footloose
The Taking Of Pelham 123
State Of Play
The Last House On The Left
Fame
Red Dawn
Short Circuit

The Birds
Hellraiser
Poltergeist
The Shadow
Battle Royale
The Evil Dead
Knight Rider
Starfighter
Tron

Frankenweenie
A Nightmare On Elm Street
The Warriors
Escape From New York
Piranha
Howard Stern’s Porkys
Short Circuit
Straw Dogs
Dune

The Swarm
The Witches
The Thing
Westworld
Logan’s Run
Child’s Play
The Rocky Horror Picture Show
Flash Gordon
Rosemary’s Baby

The Jetsons
Starfighter
Forbidden Planet
Sympathy For Lady Vengeance
Near Dark
Barbarella
Red Sonja
Last Tango In Paris
Angel Heart
The Host
High and Low
My Fair Lady
Rashomon
All Of Me

Captain Blood
Highlander
Brighton Rock
Vampirella
Dracula
North Dallas Forty
Enter the Dragon(aka Awaken the Dragon)
Hercules

TV Shows to made into Live Movies:
Magnum
I, Claudius
The Secret Diary Of Adrian Mole
Alan Partridge: The Movie
Smurfs
Arrested Development
The A Team
Wonder Woman
Masters of the Universe
Thundercats
V: The Second Generation
The Sweeney
Aikira
Voltron
Justice League

rockabilly
05-01-2010, 07:28 AM
Anyone see it yet ?

The makeup effects are toned down to give Freddy a more realistic burn victim look. It's ok but like most remakes it pales beside the original.

One thing that i thought would have been a neat twist would have been if Freddy had been innocent of being a pedo and became a monster due to the lies of the "Elm Street Kids" and their parents vigilante justice , but they kept Freddy's origin closer to the original.
Look forward to 2 more Nightmare films as part of a trilogy.

Dino Velvet
05-01-2010, 07:49 AM
As far as remakes go, 3:10 To Yuma was pretty darn good. I also like Dawn Of The Dead even though it had a completely different feel from the first. Has anyone seen the It's Alive remake? I heard it was terrible. The Omen was pretty bad too. Kind of felt bad for the cast as they would be compared with Gregory Peck, Lee Remick, and David Warner.

rockabilly
05-01-2010, 11:15 AM
The Dawn of the Dead remake was a step forward in how to do a remake , but the Day of the Dead remake was a giant leap backwards imo.

Dino Velvet
05-01-2010, 11:20 AM
The Dawn of the Dead remake was a step forward in how to do a remake , but the Day of the Dead remake was a giant leap backwards imo.

Hey rockabilly, you like any Lucio Fulci movies like Zombie, The Beyond, City Of The Living Dead, and House By The Cemetery?

Cyclops
05-01-2010, 01:19 PM
The Last Man on Earth(1964) starring Vincent Price

remade as

The Omega Man (1971) starring Charlton Heston

and as

I Am Legend (2007) starring Will Smith

All three were good.

there have been several remakes of The War of The Worlds,the original from 1953 still outshines them all IMO

H.G.Wells' The Time Machine is another that has been remade several times

rockabilly
05-01-2010, 02:32 PM
Hey rockabilly, you like any Lucio Fulci movies like Zombie, The Beyond, City Of The Living Dead, and House By The Cemetery?

Of course , where else would you find a zombie vs a shark ?

And the scene where that girl gets her eye impaled on wood.
Have you seen Zombie Honeymoon or Fido?

Dino Velvet
05-01-2010, 05:34 PM
Of course , where else would you find a zombie vs a shark ?

And the scene where that girl gets her eye impaled on wood.
Have you seen Zombie Honeymoon or Fido?

Haven't seen Zombie Honeymoon or Fido. I have Fido on DVD but haven't seen it yet. Going to watch The Descent 2 tonight.

rockabilly
05-01-2010, 08:35 PM
The first Descent was great but i don't think it needed a sequel.

Now Dog Soldiers could do w/ a prequel or sequel.

woodken
05-03-2010, 04:24 AM
it was made in the 70 it was about a black car killing people in a small to town. i been looking for that movie for yrs .i hope they remake it or remake christian its about a red 66 fury.

Maximus25
05-03-2010, 04:47 AM
Quick question....I've never seen Lady of Vengeance but Old Boy is an amazing and inventive thriller. It turned the revenge genre upside down in way Tartantino could only salivate about.

Spoiler Alert!!

I'm afraid whoever is working on the property is going to tweak the ending. I mean if they end like the original Korean version it is going to get an NC 17 rating. The MPAA, as oppose to its counterparts in other countries, does not have a kind view on movies that stray from "acceptable" sexual norms. Ultra violence is tolerated in American cinema to a certain extant, but there is no place for a dude (BIG TIME SPOILER) who inadvertently plows his daughter. They're going to change the ending which is a shame. The American public (sometimes) is more sophisticated than Hollywood gives us credit.

Dino Velvet
05-03-2010, 06:08 AM
it was made in the 70 it was about a black car killing people in a small to town. i been looking for that movie for yrs .i hope they remake it or remake christian its about a red 66 fury.

The DVD is back in print if you're interested. I have my copy. Amazon.com: The Car: James Brolin, Elliot Silverstein: Movies & TV@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51hr5NwUfpL.@@AMEPARAM@@51hr5NwUfpL (http://www.amazon.com/Car-James-Brolin/dp/B0013527K2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1272859637&sr=1-1)

The Car and Duel would make for an awesome double feature.

rockabilly
05-03-2010, 06:16 AM
And don't forget "Maximum Overdrive".

altarica
05-03-2010, 11:08 AM
I watch a lot of foreign movies, mainly European, but some Asian too, like Old Boy, Assembly, Brotherhood etc.
They are far more interesting than most of the pap churned out by the Hollywood mainstream, who only go and fuck it up when they remake them. The remakes of Nikita and Get Carter were both risible. Leave well enough alone.

rockabilly
05-03-2010, 12:54 PM
While not a remake and w/ no returning characters from the original film not truly a sequel "Repo Chick" is awaiting distribution.

But it might go straight to dvd.

Richctdude
05-03-2010, 01:14 PM
most remakes are very unorginal.... there are very few movies that are "original"

russtafa
05-03-2010, 02:43 PM
theres a lot of good books out there and i cant understand why they dont use them

HotRats
05-04-2010, 10:54 AM
David Fincher, director of Se7en and Zodiac among others is supposed to be directing the remake of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, the first of The Millenium Trilogy (The Girl Who Played With Fire and The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest are due later this year) based on Stieg Larsson's tremendous books. I don't see the point of an top quality director wasting his time when the original is so good and they'll be lucky to find an actress half as good as Noomi Rapace. Still, Scorsese wasted his talent on The Departed which is nowhere near as good as Infernal Affairs

Legend
05-04-2010, 10:55 AM
You can add the nightmare on elm street remake as being a horrible remake, they totally frelled this movie up, characters were boring especially the new nancy and you didn't care about them in the original you did, this new guy who plays freddy frelling sucks no way can he even compare to englund's performance as freddy.The child molesting stuff was felt creepy why did they change him anyway from being child killer to a molester.And really the look of the in dream sequences in the original look better then the one in this remake. I don't know why that keep spitting out remakes when they are awful.It would great if he was a normal guy faslely accused of the crime of child molestation and turned into a monster but they didn't and should have the story would have been better but the molestation stuff they did have was just disgusting and creepy.

rockabilly
05-04-2010, 11:46 AM
Don't worry Legend in 20 years they'll remake the remake and we can bitch about how bad it is again , I thought it was better than the Friday the 13th remake.

The problem is the audience has changed for horror films , most people would prefer to see "Saw 13" than a slasher film. The golden age of Slasher cinema was the late 70's - early 80's but good slashers can still be found but mostly straight to dvd ... "Midnight Movie" is a decent film.

bulldog
05-04-2010, 12:58 PM
There is a pattern I have noticed with remakes, if the movie was bad in the original, it mostly turns out good the second time around. If it was good in the original, it mostly turns out bad or doesn't live up to the original as people put it. Interesting thought for the day :P

rockabilly
05-04-2010, 01:11 PM
If that's true then the remake of "Ishtar" w/ Jude Law and Jason Lee is gonna be the bomb.

Legend
06-16-2010, 07:36 AM
You can add the a-team to your list of hollywood remakes that are flops.

Cyclops
06-16-2010, 04:00 PM
You can add the a-team to your list of hollywood remakes that are flops.

Technically speaking that is not a movie remake,It is a movie adapted from the '80s tv series,but is an original movie

traLika
06-16-2010, 04:10 PM
They're remaking The Warriors. Goodness knows why because the original was perfect, although very much of its time... The director is Tony Scott, who did that mediocre remake of The Taking of Pelham 123...

Still, at least his brother Ridley is working on an Alien prequel... :)

Legend
07-24-2010, 11:00 PM
Here is the trailer for the "i spit on your grave" remake,

YouTube- 'I Spit On Your Grave' Trailer HD (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zU3U-9B3fE)

Legend
07-24-2010, 11:14 PM
Let the Right One In Remake trailer but they change the title to "Let Me In",

YouTube- Let Me In Trailer (HD) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hDPUlcjmQQ)

Legend
07-29-2010, 01:10 PM
New Yogi Bear in 3D

YouTube- Yogi Bear 3D - (2010) Official Teaser Trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TX2jEdwX2c)