PDA

View Full Version : Moving to New York...NEED SOME ADVICE!!!

Sinister
11-08-2011, 06:11 AM
Alright so I've pretty much lived in Chicago my whole life (something I don't @ all regret) and after all these years and consideration have decided to move to New York after many visits. My friend suggested New Jersey since it's more affordable but I feel if I'm gonna move outta state I wanna stay in New York, so my question is what areas would be affordable based on $800-1,500 price range, good living conditions and a somewhat active neighborhood (meaning stores, good nightlife, etc.) Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

Sinister
11-08-2011, 06:12 AM
Forgot to mention, I'm not ruling out Jersey, if anyone has suggestions about Jersey also I'm open for insight

jerseyboy72
11-08-2011, 06:17 AM
Forgot to mention, I'm not ruling out Jersey, if anyone has suggestions about Jersey also I'm open for insight

Hoboken

Ineeda SM
11-08-2011, 06:43 AM
Alright so I've pretty much lived in Chicago my whole life (something I don't @ all regret) and after all these years and consideration have decided to move to New York after many visits. My friend suggested New Jersey since it's more affordable but I feel if I'm gonna move outta state I wanna stay in New York, so my question is what areas would be affordable based on $800-1,500 price range, good living conditions and a somewhat active neighborhood (meaning stores, good nightlife, etc.) Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

There is nothing in NY under those price ranges. Not in nice neighborhoods anyway. Tripple those figures and you are much closer. Don't move to NYC. It's a dirty fucking jungle-hell. Chi-town is kids play compared to NYC.

Bobby Domino
11-08-2011, 09:05 AM
There is nothing in NY under those price ranges. Not in nice neighborhoods anyway. Tripple those figures and you are much closer. Don't move to NYC. It's a dirty fucking jungle-hell. Chi-town is kids play compared to NYC.

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

fred41
11-08-2011, 09:41 AM

You'd probably have to settle for Queens....but you could still live in a decent neighborhood.

Forget Manhattan.

fred41
11-08-2011, 09:55 AM

Almost all of Chicago's crime stats are higher.

Sinister
11-08-2011, 05:26 PM
Hmmmm....ok, mixed responses which is cool. So by judging from the replies, possibly queens but if I do decide on brooklyn i'll be paying shit loads for rent...i'll look into jersey, what about staten island?

bighicknyc
11-08-2011, 05:33 PM
Look into Harlem for alot of Brooklyn is just as expensive as most of Manhattan but alot of people are just starting to move to upper Manhattan so some good deals are around

Icanthelpmyself
11-09-2011, 02:06 AM
Let me give you some good advice party in NYC live in the Burbs You can find a place to live in Yonkers and you can take the subway to the city 30min ride.

onmyknees
11-09-2011, 02:16 AM
Fred's correct. Almost everyone I know that has moved into the city recently has landed in Queens. Still some nice neighborhoods and reasonable rents compared to Manhattan. ( I didn't say reasonable, but reasonable compared to manhattan!) And Queens has always had lots of good looking ladies... Don't know what you're into for entertainment, but there's some real good bars in Queens, and you're only a train ride for mid town.

hf
11-09-2011, 05:36 AM
Queens is definitely the place to go for the most reasonable rates and a decent distance from Manhattan. I am in Jackson Heights and while people think it's dangerous, I have never had a problem. You just got to use common sense as is the case with anywhere you go.

jerseyboy72
11-09-2011, 05:47 AM
I have been to Sunnyside section of Queens and I thought that was pretty nice.

SirCumsAlot
11-09-2011, 08:23 AM
buy a heavy ass coat

TsVanessa69
11-09-2011, 09:05 AM
Union City, New Jersey

like living in manhattan, but way cheaper!

Los Angeles resident
11-09-2011, 10:36 AM

$1,500 a month will get you a small studio if you want to live on Manhattan's Upper West Side. That's how much my parents charged when they owned a studio in that area.

luvshemales
11-09-2011, 03:12 PM
Stay far away from Staten Island it requires either a car, ferry or bus to escape the island as its not connected via subway. Verazanno bridge will cost you I believe $15 now although if u live there they do give u some kind of discount.
Queens or somewhere in NJ is your best bang for your buck. Some good places in NJ where u can take a Path train which runs 24/7 are Jersey City, Hoboken, Weehawken.

RawNY
11-09-2011, 03:20 PM
Fred's correct. Almost everyone I know that has moved into the city recently has landed in Queens. Still some nice neighborhoods and reasonable rents compared to Manhattan. ( I didn't say reasonable, but reasonable compared to manhattan!) And Queens has always had lots of good looking ladies... Don't know what you're into for entertainment, but there's some real good bars in Queens, and you're only a train ride for mid town.

WHich bars in Queens? I live in Queens and it is difficult to tell which bars are worth the trip and whic ones are just hang outs for some of nasiest women I ever met, lol

Bobzz
11-09-2011, 03:57 PM
Bushwick, transitional areas perhaps but good people mostly.

SFTB
11-09-2011, 08:04 PM
Take a marker and write "99%" on a tshirt. They have free housing in Zuccotti Park

StlyeMeCunty
11-09-2011, 08:08 PM
My friend has a nice place in Inwood, northern manhattan, that cost him only about 1,300. Its a respectable one bedroom!