PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Care About The Tonight Show With Jimmy Fallon

Dino Velvet
02-19-2014, 03:54 AM
Tonight Show franchise might spiral down the toilet. I don't think Fallon is their savior. I don't like his song 'n' dance routines interfering with the flow of the jokes either.

TSMichelleAustin
02-19-2014, 04:26 AM
I didnt get to see it last night but I loved Late Night with Jimmy Fallon and excited to see him as Tonight Show host. He is a lot like Johnny Carson, in that he does skits and stuff. He appeals to a younger generation. He is great and will take over the reigns well!

Merkurie
02-19-2014, 04:30 AM
Jimmy Fallon is not your parents Tonight Show Host.
He's yours.

Now where are those reading glasses?

broncofan
02-19-2014, 04:30 AM
Tonight Show franchise might spiral down the toilet. I don't think Fallon is their savior. I don't like his song 'n' dance routines interfering with the flow of the jokes either.
I've seen a couple of bits where he invites someone on who's super-talented and instead of letting them do their thing he tries to compete with them. He's okay and seems like a nice guy, but he does have to learn to let the star be the star I think.

broncofan
02-19-2014, 04:32 AM
Jimmy Fallon is not your parents Tonight Show Host.
He's yours.

Now where are those reading glasses?
LOL He's a bit of a young wisecracking whippersnapper. Always dancin around and being all hip...but I think I like the old guard to be honest.

Dino Velvet
02-19-2014, 04:42 AM
I don't think I can be made happy and have interest in the show. I complained about Jay Leno and the low-hanging fruit all the time. I was in favor of Conan but the format was off and the ratings plundered.

Maybe Fallon will work and I just don't get it.

nysprod
02-19-2014, 05:04 AM
A big part of Carson's show was him paying tribute to stars of the past (who could still bring down the house) like Groucho Marx, George Burns, Milton Berle, Jack Benny, etc.

So I think Fallon's show will be a destination and he'll do much better than Leno, who always took the lowest common denominator.

Tiffany Anne
02-19-2014, 10:47 AM
I watched the first because history, but eh.

Bopper007
02-20-2014, 09:09 AM
Did you see tonight's show? Jimmy showed a flashlight powered only by the heat of your hand.

Prospero
02-20-2014, 10:25 AM
NO....

EZWind
02-21-2014, 04:32 PM
I loved Steve Allen (yeah I'm old enough to have watched him) and Carson of course was the gold standard. No one will ever be that good for that long again. Never cared much for Leno who didn't even come close to filling Johnny's shoes, yet his ratings were excellent. I tune in to Fallon when he has guests that I'm interested in. He's a pretty talented kid and he does well at what is a very difficult job...just ask Chevy Chase or Magic Johnson.
Those retrospective clip shows they did in the final week of the old show demonstrate how good he can be. And I loved the cover of The Weight w/ the Muppets as the closer.
The new show however....off to a bit of a shaky start...that Hip Hop dance routine w/ Will Smith failed, and Seinfeld, surprisingly, delivered an embarrassingly bad 6 or 8 minutes of standup about the US Postal Service. Every joke he made at their expense was the result of the bullshit regulations imposed on them by the lame duck Bush administration. Not funny at all.
Carson wasn't received all that well either in his early days, but he sure got better and lasted 30 years, so I say give the kid a chance.
Plus, he gets a bonus point for having the only late nite band featuring a tuba player

CORVETTEDUDE
02-21-2014, 07:06 PM
Fallon is not the "Tonight Show".... His style was merely OK in the later show. True to NBC's modus operande, they have again screwed the pooch.